Close

Extruder not heating properly

Soooo long story short... I had a big print goint that ended up failing and leaving a huge rats nest for ABS. I cleaned up and cleard the clogs and thought all would be well. I was wrong! When i try to preheat the extruder I get a heat failure. With the fans off it heats to 120? then starts descending then kick the error. With the fans on it makes it to 45ish and does the same. The wires look ok but there is a clear wire with the ends glued together... I don't know what it does or why its near the heat block. But the wires are not exposed and the shielding is intact. Could that wire be the a ground or causeing an issue? Does anyone know what is causeing the heating to fail?

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by magyaripatrick View Post
    The wires look ok but there is a clear wire with the ends glued together... I don't know what it does or why its near the heat block. But the wires are not exposed and the shielding is intact. Could that wire be the a ground or causing an issue? Does anyone know what is causeing the heating to fail?
    This wire sounds like the thermister. Could you post a picture of it.

If it is the thermister it belongs in the heater block to measure the temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    This wire sounds like the thermister. Could you post a picture of it.

If it is the thermister it belongs in the heater block to measure the temperature.

20181119_203522.jpg

That's what I'm working with.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Watch this video, it should give you some knowledge you need now about installing the heat-block thermister. Your installation may not include the white Fiber washer so skip this step. However if you have one laying around somewhere please include this washer as it will help maintain your hot-end temperature readings or you could wrap the hot-end with Teflon thermal tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=som535yus2M
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 11-25-2018 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Watch this video, it should give you some all you need not now about installing the heat-block thermister. Your installation may not include the white Fiber washer so skip this step. However if you have one laying around somewhere please include this washer as it will help maintain your hot-end temperature readings or you could wrap the hot-end with Teflon thermal tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=som535yus2M
    That's exactly what the issue was... thank you!