Hey,

Okay, so I am using a Makerfarm Prusa 8" i3v with a Magma hot end and 3mm ABS filament driven by a Greg's Accessible extruder.

I find myself having problems on detailed jobs when there is a LOT of "reverse" action given to the extruder stepper. The tension on the guidler will be good, but once the stepper starts "backing up" (I assume to quickly reduce pressure in the hot end head to avoid strings), the projects seem to be destined for the hobbed bolt chewing through the filament.

When there's a continuous feed, or when the extruder just STOPS (rather than backing up), the jobs almost NEVER fail.

I notice this PARTICULARLY with a spool of pink 3mm ABS I got from 3dpartistry.com, but I've had similar issues at times with both Makerfarm and Ultimachine filaments.

For instance, I can print using the pink 3dpartistry.com filament if it's something standard like the test cube, or some of the simpler "vertical" extrusion pieces I'm making for our GameCube portable case, but if I try to print something with a lot of "starts and stops" that call for reversing the filament, about half the time I will come back to find the job failed and the filament eaten through (about 1/2 to 3/4 across the diameter). I also have problems when printing the "scaffolding" support material, particularly when there are stops and starts, AND reverses.

I've tried loosening the guidler, but then I get universally BAD feed issues, so I know the tension I have marked with a gauge is right.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Is there an updated setting that can ease up on the frequency of the "reverse" for the extruder stepper?