Close

Student

3D Model Hand Rakes

I got this idea months ago and I decided to make them , the invention basically is just rakes on the top of your hands, since im always bending over or kneeling down to push leaves or stuff in my barrel or bags I have to get up and grab the rake to make the pile again, or if I use my hands, the dirt gets stuck under my nails or if im wearing gloves they dont work so well, so I made something to put uptop the hands that pop out and can be still used to pick up leaves and rake without having to get up and grab the rake or you forgot the rake across the yard. ( This could be practical for most people but eh it was worth a shot and it seems practical for my needs so one day ill print it out when I get a printer)

HandRakes1_zpsvexsmeol.jpg

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    seems a bit over complicated.

Why not just make three tines joined to a bar at the base that you can either hold or add straps too. A reinforecement bar half way down as well.

That way it would print in one piece and not require all those little fiddly bits and pieces you've added :-)
    Okay you wouldn't get the wolverine pop-out effect. but it'd print in a few hours rather than a few days :-)
    And you could always hang them from your belt when not in use.

I guess this is one of the problems of designing without a 3d printer.
    Once you start printing stuff you soon learn to simplify things.

Go buy a printer :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-17-2015 at 07:42 AM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    seems a bit over complicated.

Why not just make three tines joined to a bar at the base that you can either hold or add straps too. A reinforecement bar half way down as well.

That way it would print in one piece and not require all those little fiddly bits and pieces you've added :-)
    Okay you wouldn't get the wolverine pop-out effect. but it'd print in a few hours rather than a few days :-)
    And you could always hang them from your belt when not in use.

I guess this is one of the problems of designing without a 3d printer.
    Once you start printing stuff you soon learn to simplify things.

Go buy a printer :-)
    Why not go all the way when you make something, I dont think it would take days I think the aproximate time to print out one of this would be between 12 and 18 hours so it maybe would take two days at best.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's just massively over complicated. Why design something with 10 parts - some quite weak, when you can make something to do the same job in one go ?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    it's just massively over complicated. Why design something with 10 parts - some quite weak, when you can make something to do the same job in one go ?
    I could design something single brick style hand rake that wouldn't take long but whats the fun in that? I don't think most of any of these parts are flimsy, I have taken apart many plastic gadgets, and toys in my time and there is a lot of flimsy stuff inside.

I don't see nothing wrong with creating what you want to create, sure maybe it will take a while to print, will the rakes work? im pretty sure they will hold up for a while I built supports to hold the working piece, of course it will break over time its plastic.

I am sorry if my invention offends or angers people or whatever the answer will always be " why not" If someone does wanna help they could tell me what these flaws are in my invention and maybe pointers to improve my project or any constructive criticism that will help instead of shooting it down .