Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't decide between Airwolf 3D HD or Ultimaker 2?

Hi guys, I am new to the three dimensional printing world and am looking for a first printer. I was originally set on the ultimaker 2, but then noticed the lead time was 6-8 weeks. Then I noticed a company called Airwolf. The HD or the upcoming HDx interested me. What are the pros and cons of each? I know the ultimaker community is excellent and I have not hear much of the Airwolf. Is it any good? I would consider the Form1, however I an kind of partial on the build size. I am not a 3d modeler by any means. The usage of the printer will be projects developed in CAD, kind of like gearboxes, robot replicas, etc.
    Last edited by Trollerizm; 06-08-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Engineer
    Tough one. I would probably say Airwolf 3D. I'm really liking the company. They just hired a big name from Toshiba as President and CEO last week. I have only herd good things about the company. Having said this Ultimaker 2 is on of the more popular 3d printers out there.

Is there a big difference in print quality between the two? I noticed ultimaker claim up to twenty microns, but i know 60 is probably the best you can get. Airwolf claims 60. So would this mean the quality is the same?

Engineer
    i am really not a fan of the airwolf stuff. they make a real pretty machine but that means nothing really. they way overuse plastic printed parts. every joint, bracket and piece on the printer is printed then they wrap it with brittle acrylic panels. do some digging, you will find that any of the people in the 3d printer world that know whats going on frown upon acrylic enclosures used as the actual structure of the machine. its brittle and has too much thermal expansion and its all held together with 100 different printed pieces. if you got $3k to plop down you want a rigid, metal framed printer....just my 2 cents

Thanks. That was my area of concern. So no air wolf for me. Now just got to decide if the Form1 is worth it. I originally ruled it out, but seeing prints with it tempts me to get it

If you are from America i would buy something else than the Ultimaker to be honest,

If your from Europe i guess the Ultimaker is a great printer for a reasonable price,

Its just that the customs will ask money and shipping costs will be that high that you would be able to get a better printer from the same price in total.

I dont know the Airwolf is a good printer tho.

But the Ultimaker is a very rigid printer with decent speeds and silent.

Engineer
    i have to agree with the dr. i have seen the ultimaker2 running at makerfaire and its seemed really nice but being here in the US i would want my printer company to be here. its just easier and cheaper to get the printer and or parts down the road. on the other hand ultimaker may have a good dealer network here in the states where the printer and service parts can be supplied from. i have no idea and if that is the case then by all means go with it.

I have had the AW3D HD for awhile now and can say without reservation, I am completely happy with it. I had the MakerBot Replicator 5th Generation but returned it because of all the problems with the Smart Extruder and homing and bed leveling issues.

The AW3D HD's printing quality is superb … far superior to anything that came out of my MakerBot. Add to that it's ability to print in over 13 different materials makes for a very versatile printer. It's fast, precise, very sturdy and very easily maintained. I don't think the clear acrylic case is going to be a problem at all. It's thick and well made and the fit and finish is tops. Yes, there are a lot of 3D printed pieces, but I don't see that as a detriment. If a piece breaks, Airwolf easily supplies them for the HD. My closed source Makerbot would have been/was a nightmare if something broke and needed to be replaced.

The hot end is very sturdy and I have had no clogging issues at all. MatterControl software is easy to learn and includes 3 different slicing engines to suit your needs. All in all, I think you won't go wrong with the HD. I am very happy I decided on this printer … I can see it lasting for years and it growing along with me as I learn more.

JimC,

Each new generation of their printers seem to have less 3D printed parts. While there are a few detractors, many users seem to be really happy with it. There needs to be some 3D common sense and due diligence applied when using the 3D printers. Considering the Airwolf 3D printers have many features that most 3D printers in their class do not have---where many do not have half their features---I would consider them comparatively plug-and-play. For example, a common sense item, the acrylic panels are for enclosing and do not factor into structural. I have had an Axiom for some time now (I upgraded it to a dual head shortly after purchase) and have not had any issues as of yet. The print quality seem to be exceptional. Further, one of the features which ice the cake is the amount of flexibility one has with regard to the types of materials. Their modular 3D printers are seemingly upgradable ad infinitum---another nice feature.

Engineer-in-Training
    Ultimaker has US distributors, you wont pay extra customs price
    and the Ultimaker can do 0.2mm and it is something you will notice if you print small fine detailed models, especially if you use the 0.25mm nozzle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast