Close

PrintrBot CEO's Gigantic Metal 3D Printer

Most of you probably have heard of the company Printrot. They are known for their PrintrBot Simple 3D printers at relatively affordable prices. Their CEO Brook Drumm is not just in it for the money, however. He does this for a hobby as well, and has recently, in his spare time, created a massive Metal 3D printer. Whether Printrbot will begin making and selling one similar, is yet to be seen, however this thing looks quite impressive. Check out more details here: http://3dprint.com/5418/printrbot-br...uge-3d-printer

Here's a picture of the massive device:

Staff Engineer
    Using the term "metal 3D printer" is ambiguous. In this case, while the printer is (mostly) made from metal, it's still just printing in plastic.

Engineer-in-Training
    And it's a large Mendel-derivative mechanism. It works OK for small machines, I think the design's value diminishes as they are scaled.

Technician

Large 3d metal printer

Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    And it's a large Mendel-derivative mechanism. It works OK for small machines, I think the design's value diminishes as they are scaled.
    Are they selling this printer now at printerbot??????????

Engineer-in-Training
    They now offer a big machine kit, but it doesn't look like that.

https://printrbot.com/shop/printrbot...barebones-kit/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well it's got a large print volume - I wouldn't say massive.
    Or how do you describe the print volumes of the 3dp100 ? or the new hyrels ?
    Super mega gigantic ?

And then where do you go when you you start talking about the room sized printers or the concrete printers that make houses ?
    It's probably time to buy a theasaurus ;-)

Anyway you look at it - the guy knows how to make a very clean looking 3d printer :-)