Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Afinia now selling their own Premium PLA Filament

Looks like yet another 3D printer manufacturer is taking another step in selling their own 3D printer filament. Afinia, who has already been selling their own brand of ABS filament for some time now, has just announced that they will be selling their own line of premium PLA filament as well. They are priced at $29.99 / 700 gram spool. Currently only 3 colors are available, but 3 more are coming this fall. Read more about this at http://3dprint.com/5005/afinia-pla-3d-printer-filament/

Have you tried printing using PLA on your Afinia? Have you had any issues?

Engineer-in-Training
    Scaling the pricing to 1kg places it at about $43/kg. It's a bit closer to the top end of filament pricing, outside of 3D Systems & Stratasys pro machines.. Good, domestically (US) made filament can be had for $30/kg. Granted, good color variety doesn't start until $40/kg, so if you need something that's outside what you see in an 8pk of crayons, then you'll be spending more.

That gray looks like it is white, which leads me to question all their photos. I've gotten "burned" on colors before, not being quite what was on the photo. It was a good color, good material, just not color I was looking for.

"Less odor – Compared to ABS, Afinia’s PLA has reduced odor and a pleasant, sweet smell like pancakes"

Wow, really? I think all PLA smells better than ABS.

"Reduced warping, lifting, or curling of models – Afinia’s Premium PLA filament has a reduced thermal expansion coefficient than ABS which means the PLA layers are less likely to shrink after printing"

Again with the uneven & unlike comparisons. If theirs is a premium material, I think they'd nail down the specifics better than comparing against a material that's a very different type of plastic.
    Last edited by JRDM; 06-02-2014 at 09:11 PM.