Close

Microsoft getting into making 3D Scanning Apps

Looks like Microsoft is really gaining an interest in 3D printing. Just yesterday, at Innovation day 2013 at Microsoft Research Asia, they talked a bit about 3D scanning from mobile devices. It seems like they will be creating an app for phones and tablets that use the camera to basically 3D Scan objects for printing.

I know there are already apps out like this, but I find it significant that Microsoft is really taking to advancing this technology. Now we just need Apple and Google to get motivated to get into the 3D printing industry.

More on this at http://blogs.technet.com/b/inside_mi...he-masses.aspx

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Microsoft is really getting into the entire 3D Printing industry. They are selling MakerBots in stores, and Windows 8.1 is going to make it very easy to print in 3D (supposedly as easy as it is to print in 2D).

I agree, we need to see Apple and Google take more initiative into this industry.

Eddie

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    Just imagine it...

The 'iMake'!

Completely covered in silver/chrome paint and impossible to swap parts because it's 125% self-contained.

On the other hand with Google...

I think they need to keep their focus on Google Glass and that car that drives itself.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MysteryAlabaster View Post
    that car that drives itself.
    A self-driving car is very much a SUATMM item.

I'm just happy that some of the largest established tech companies are starting to see the potential of 3D Printing.