Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    This is really a great idea.

However, acetone doesn't only smooth the surface, it actually improves the layer adhesion on all surfaces treated - it fuses them even better, where they are exposed to the vapor.

You can even build through-holes oriented with the Z into your design, so that the acetone treatment fuses the layers in multiple locations throughout your print - if you need to prevent delamination in mechanically demanding situations.

Engineer
    I'm with the Acetone group, much cheaper, easy to work with, and has a great finish + bonds layers better.

Engineer
    Well think of this way, acetone works for ABS, but gets thrash result against PLA and other filament based material. You either have to have a set of solvent to work out, and last time I have used DCM , those evaporate much faster, it does go through vinyle glove and burn your palm.

Cost money, but then works pretty much with anything if you don't mind the medium grade finishing.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    The advantage of blasting over Acetone is that it will smooth out the major bumps (layers) and roughen up the surface in general. It will allow for better paint and glue adhesion. Once you have a good blasting setup (ie cabinet), blasting is just as easy, if not easier per application, than an acetone vapor bath.

Each method has it's place, just depends on what you want.

Student
    Acetone has less predictable, less controllable and uneven (caused by gravity and how acetone vapor moves in your chambler) final result and a glossy finish you might not want which could be achieved by other means such as spray painting.

I'd give sandblasting a try. I'm clear on what cabinet I should get. But what's the most minimal compressor I can use? Low on budget.

Maybe I'll try a rock thumbler first. Still less predictable and controllable, but somewhat more even and not glossy.

I have tried to find an "all in one solution" which includes blasting cabinet, pen and air compressor... no luck so far. Any suggestion ?

Engineer
    sorry in my last post i said you need a large 2 stage compressor. i meant you dont need one. a smaller compressor, say 5-6 cfm will work but i dont know if you can find a nozzle that small for your blaster. if you cant then you will blast for a min or 2 then have to wait for the tank to refill. this is fine for something small but a real pia for anything larger. for anyone here in the us anyway, take a look on craigslist. people are getting rid of compressors all the time. you can probably pick up a really good quality used one for a few hundred bucks. a good compressor will last years and years. i know guys who have compressors that run daily that are 30,40,50 years old.

for those of you that have air and want to do this on the cheap then just get yourself one of these and just buy a bag of media and stick the tube right in the bag.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Air-Sand...item35e3451812
    Last edited by jimc; 01-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12