Close

Is ventilation needed for FFF 3D printers?

Hello y'all!

I am about to purchase a FFF 3D printer like the replicator or printrbot, and I was wondering if these types of 3d printers require any sort of ventilation. Would the printer be able to site in my bedroom at my desk, or do I need better ventilation? Are there fire hazards, or chemical hazards with these types of 3d printers or is that just for the more expensive laser sintering printers?

Most people just have their printer setup where they can keep an eye on it. Not many people have any ventilation. Hopefully, we don't find out in 10 years that the plastic fumes are carcinogenic!!! Some people prefer one type of plastic over others because of the smell. But the smell isn't very strong even in a closed room.

I would recommend a smoke detector in the room where the printer is. I've had my nozzle jam into the part and cook it black.

I print in PLA and I see myself using FDM and other plastics for the next decade plus. I'm not taking any chances so I leave my printer in a dedicated, fully ventilated (24-7) work room where I cast urethane resins. I might be overly cautious but I'd hate for my passion to get the best of me later on.

Staff Engineer
    I've read that they emit toxic nanoparticles: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...52231013005086

PLA is probably better than ABS in this regard, but PLA isn't quite as benign as people tend to assume. Apparently it is known to mimic estrogen, which can do all sorts of strange things to people. http://www.motherjones.com/environme...n-plastics-bpa

I'd say yes - ventilate.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Engineer-in-Training
    Odor wise, I've just learned that PET+ is similar to PLA, but as good a material as ABS.

I never have any specific ventilation set up. There is very little smell or fumes when printing with PLA or ABS, at least not that I notice. Does anyone know if it can be toxic at all?

Engineer-in-Training
    How about with PET+