Close

Add Geoff on Thingiverse

Do not use flashforges new spool holders.

The new spool holders come in 2 pieces that interlock, that are somehow meant to hold a kilogram of spooled plastic together. I thought hmm, this is new.. but I'll give it a go..

No, mid print through a 10 hour print, the thing split apart inside and pushed the spool holder apart. (You don't know it's 2 parts when they are locked together) - buts obviously a bad interlock system that can come apart easy.

This did 3 interesting things..

1. Unscrewed and pushed off the little ring you screw on to hold the filament spool on - (I assume after the print stopped, this constant tugging would have unscrewed it)
    2. Due to there being too much friction, the spool jammed. OK, ive had jams, not such a big deal.
    3. The extruder it was going into is now well and truly stuffed. All usual fixes have failed - and this is my new extruder!! It's got a serious block somehow in the nozzle, it was jammed for a good 30 minutes before I found it.
    my daughter said she heard some clicking noises, I just shrugged it off as the printer being annoying as I was watching TV.. grrr.
    4. If I had not caught it in time, It actually would have pushed my entire printer off the desk as it was expanding at the back of the machine. Thousands of reels of filament all pushing outward toward each opposing end.

So now I have another stuffed extruder :/ the hilarity ensues..

Stick with cardboard or plastic single piece spools. Trust me

The photo attached shows the expanded roll that went all the way to the wall and started to push my machine - behind it you see a STANDARD 1kg roll of black ABS - notice anything odd on the width?
    unnamed.jpg

Now, I am going to go forget about it for the day, I've lost enough hair as it is.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-31-2014 at 10:45 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Zero response from anyone at Flashforge, here or via emails.

I'll just sit here and wait with my dead nozzle....
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-30-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Zero response from anyone at Flashforge, here or via emails.

I'll just sit here and wait with my dead nozzle....

Are you stil sit and wait? with you dead nozzle? Have a solution for it?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Why is nozzle dead? Plugged? If yes I think you will have to clear that up yourself.

I have found it much better to never unload filament. I think this is where clog problems are happening. Just cut the filament that is in and use it as a leader, put the new filament on top and shove it in right after. I think these extruders are better handled as "exit only" orifices.

Student
    I had a similiar problem with my nozzle. Will describe this evening, maybe it can be a little help.

Is this like the ones you say not to use?

Student
    I received the white coloured spool as 34Ford (same blue semi transparent PLA) and a black coloured spool of white ABS.
    Tried pulling them apart, but no-go.
    Maybe a bad batch? (MFR forgot to glue the reels?)
    {PS: 34Ford, use clean blue tape & cold bed for the PLA, extruder @205C,.. a bit of ABS glue, 102C bed temp & extruder @225C for ABS ..& 50/80 speed for both ,..works for me so far}

My question didn't get answered.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by 34Ford View Post
    My question didn't get answered.
    Either did mine. I don't work for them, don't get shirty if I don't immediately log on and answer your questions. Yes they are the ones.

Mine were locked tight too .. that was until it got halfway through a print and sprung apart.

I still haven't had a reply from anyone at flashforge, meanwhile I still am sitting here with a machine with 1 dead nozzle and the other barely working.

They have about a week to get back to me before I dump this machine and buy a new one (not a flashforge)