Close

Myriwell 220V 3D Printer Desktop - Save my friend or not?

Today, my friend called me up and said that he found a 3D printer that he is gonna order. It is called the Myriwell 220V. I had never heard of it. Perhaps some of you guys have?

He plans on buying it from DX.com for $1300. I tried to tell him he should buy something which is at least known in America, but he refused. He plans to order this as soon as he gets paid on Saturday.

I did a little research and found this same printer on Aliexpress for $1109.

I'm wondering if I am justified in trying to convince him not to buy this. What do you think? Is this a decent printer, worth spending $1300 for or should I really try harder to convince him to get a Makerbot, Cube, or something else?

I must admit that it looks cool, but I don't trust buying things you've never heard of.

Staff Engineer
    From what I understand, it's the Chinese-made printer that is mostly popular inside China itself. Aside from that I don't hear much. Some knockoffs of it are getting released in the Middle East as well to some fanfare, so at least others have found that it's worth copying?

I dunno about worht it for the price, but he could do worse I suppose.

Banned
    This is a Chinese built printer. I am guessing it will come with manuals which are only in Chinese. That should be enough to convince him not to get it. I have not read reviews on this device, but find it interesting that a Croation company has created a similar device: http://3dprint.com/4050/forecebook-ultra-3d-printer/. It was actually built by the same company and rebranded I believe. For $1300 he can get an American made printer that's likely much better.
    Last edited by RedSox2013; 05-23-2014 at 09:27 AM.

Staff Engineer
    I'm not sure what the advantages of it are, compared to other FDM-type printers, which aren't exactly rare these days, and often cost less. It looks like it has a plastic stage to hold the hot end, which is one of the most significant design flaws in the Makerbot I saw in action recently.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

It's basically a Replicator in a box. Made in China, not at all popular here.

A decent way to get an idea of what Chinese printers are popular (shown in order of sales):
    http://s.taobao.com/search?spm=a230r...3A1#J_relative