Close

Holographic 3D Print Preview

Talk about cool. Check out this story about a new Holographic Augmented Reality 3D print preview a man named Ryan Smith has created for Technical Illusions: http://3dprint.com/4272/holographic-3d-print-preview/

Technical Illusions is the company behind the castAr headset, a $1 million+ Kickstarter project from last year. Ryan uses the glasses to view a preview of his print within his makerbot replicator. It's pretty darn cool if you ask me. What do you guys think? Would you use this technology if you had it available? Check out the video below where Ryan shows off the functions of his 3D printer object previewer:

Staff Engineer
    It's somewhat interesting, but it's not holographic. I wish people wouldn't use that term for every 3D illusion; it's just confusing people who have no real idea of what holography is all about. This is a stereoscopic effect with some virtual reality enhancement, which is how it should be described.

Holography is entirely different; it is based on an interference pattern created by splitting a beam of coherent light and colliding the part that's bouncing off an object with the other part that hits a photographic emulsion directly, at a certain angle. When the interference pattern is reilluminated from the same angle, then the object is viewable in 3 dimensions.

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

This has a lot of potential in my opinion. However, I agree, he shouldn't use the term holographic, because it isn't holographic.

Fantastic! I want this so badly!