Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Amazon Patent Filing Shows They May Try and Supplant Shapeways

Shapeways has really established themselves as the premier destination for 3D printed goods. There are other companies out there that are starting to gain a little momentum, such as Sculpteo. Many people wonder if Amazon will ever try and challenge the Shapeways business model. A patent that I discovered points in this direction. Could Amazon really be planning to go all out and challenge Shapeways? Read this article at: http://3dprint.com/3612/amazon-patents-3d-printing/

Engineer-in-Training
    There's nothing in there that strikes me as an innovation. I also thought business models aren't supposed to be patentable.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    I agree. It seems as though they have taken Shapeways idea and patented it (after Shapeways already launched).

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I agree. It seems as though they have taken Shapeways idea and patented it (after Shapeways already launched).
    As an Industrial Designer I can tell you that this is the way the world works. There can be long protracted court battles but in general, the first person to patent something, owns it. That's why it so risky to just throw everything up on Thingiverse in my opinion. Once there, it's public and if someone truly had a a really good idea, it's gone because someone with much deeper pockets and more lawyers will certainly take it and patent it and there's not much you can do. Unless you have more money than they do to fight it in court, you'll never get the patent from them.

Lately the US Patent Office has been doing some bizarre things and I'm afraid they are being influenced unfairly by billionaires. I keep seeing patents being issued that should not be. I agree that a business model falls outside of what the Patent Office should determine. Bottom line, if you have a great idea, don't make it public until you protect yourself with a patent, patent-pending or at least a Non-Disclosure agreement if you share your idea with anyone.
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Deep pockets will always win regardless of any paperwork filed.

Staff Engineer
    It's almost certain that this patent will get rejected unless shady dealings are invloved. In America a patent can be challenged with prior art, but the obscene fees that lawyers have set for themselves have made that pretty much impossible for anyone who's not backed by a multimillion dollar corporation.

The Patent office is pretty much just following suit with every other part of the executive branch, making backroom deals for personal gain like the whole branch has no tomorrow.