Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Printer Freezing Within Minutes of Starting Print

I have a FlashForge Creator, which is the same thing as the original MakerBot Replicator (Wooden Box).

I have been printin via SD card for the past few months with no problems at all. All of a sudden, I cannot finish a print.

Each time, using the same Gcode, the printer will freeze at different points. To me, this rules out Gcode, since the printer stops at certain points. I've even re-generated the Gcode multiple (5+ times) and the problem still exists.

The printer used to freeze 1 out of every 10 prints, and usually when the print was over 40% done. Recently, the printer stops halfway through the first layer everytime, but at slightly different points and it does this every single time now. Then all the heaters turn off, sometimes the display screen will freeze, showing % complete and temperatures and other times it will go back to the homescreen/play the "completed" tune.

I have tried printing via USB, same results. I tried a different SD card, same result. When I ran it using USB, the code it threw when it froze was:

Read timed out.
    Packet timed out!
    Serial error:
    Input/output error in writeArray

I also added a UPS/battery/Surge Protector between the outlet and the printer. I Even turned off everything in my apartment to see if electrical "noise" was causing the printer to freeze. The problem still exists.

I'm using ReplicatorG (Sailfish) to generate the code. All fans are working underneath the printer, so it shouldn't be an overheating issue, unless there is an issue with the motherboard itself.

Any advice?????

I just tried to print something from Thingiverse and it froze just after laying the first layer of skirt down. It seems to be freezing sooner and sooner each time I try a print.

This time it froze, but the heaters stayed on.

I re-checked all wiring connections under the printer before this print. I also made sure the power/motherboard fans were working whenever the freeze happened. Everything looks good. I'm completely clueless.

Banned
    Hmm. I know this may sound dumb, but does your computer you are sending the file from happen to go to sleep? That would do it....

Do you have any way to look at the logs and see what it says? Also could it be over heating?

I always run the code via SD Card, I tried running it through USB/Computer to see if the SD Card slot was screwed up - but the USB/Computer froze also. The computer did not go to sleep or anything, as I was watching it closely, and especially because the print froze just a few seconds after the print started - it had my full attention.

When using the USB/Computer, the coding that popped up in the log is as follows:

Read timed out.
    Packet timed out!
    Serial error:
    Input/output error in writeArray

It kept repeating this, in between this message it would say "Retrying to connect in 10..9...8..7...6..etc." the USB never came disconnected from the computer, so it is something from the printer's side.

Overheating - maybe. This is my next guess - but all fans are working (motherboard, power supply, extruder). So something might be going wrong that those fans cannot cool down, which means a serious problem.

Banned
    I would guess overheating, but I'm no expert. I assume the printer has a lot of milege on it. Wish you the best of luck. maybe someone else will have a better answer then I do. I am rather amateurish.

I updated the firmware and also ReplicatorG sailfish. Tried to print again, this time it got to the second layer (an improvement..) and then froze - heaters turned off, printer reset/played the tune it plays when it turns on.

Of course this happens after I finally design something that I have people lined up to buy.............

Contacted FlashForge, they are sending me a new motherboard. Will update w/ results.

Quote Originally Posted by Txjeeptj View Post
    Contacted FlashForge, they are sending me a new motherboard. Will update w/ results.
    Annndd the new motherboard didn't do anything.... Problem still exists.

Ruled out the print file, as they printed the same x3g that I am trying to print (except they printed it successfully).

Any ideas???????????????????????? I'm about to give up. Could a bad stepper motor cause a freeze up? - the printer automatically reboots 80% of the time it freezes. The other 20% it will freeze and all heaters will stay on (dangerous if left unattended).

I put a thermo gun on the Y-axis stepper motor, it got to about 110 degrees F until print froze. Not sure if that is ok or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Txjeeptj View Post
    Annndd the new motherboard didn't do anything.... Problem still exists.

Ruled out the print file, as they printed the same x3g that I am trying to print (except they printed it successfully).

Any ideas???????????????????????? I'm about to give up. Could a bad stepper motor cause a freeze up? - the printer automatically reboots 80% of the time it freezes. The other 20% it will freeze and all heaters will stay on (dangerous if left unattended).

I put a thermo gun on the Y-axis stepper motor, it got to about 110 degrees F until print froze. Not sure if that is ok or not.

I have ruled out "overheating" of the stepper motors. I designed a large rectangle that covers the entire platform and started the print. It printed it successfully in 2hrs without freezing. The stepper motors both were at 145 degrees F for over an hour.

After thinking that maybe it was a random glitch and that my printer was now working- I tried I print a more complex part immediately after the successful 2hr print.

After 23 minutes of the complex part, the printer froze.

Is there any link to the complexity of the part and printing from SD card? Could the memory of the printer be corrupt?

I am able to print very simple items, but beyond that, the printer freezes/crashes.

Today I will unplug the SD slot/LCD screen/buttons from the motherboard and do a print straight for the laptop via USB. I'm wondering if something within those components are triggering a crash.

Hi there,
    I have exactly the same problem as you. and I'm still stuck with it, I've tried everything that may come to mind, nothing useless.. Simple small designs (cubes) print with no problem. bigger more complex designs will stop at a random point, and most of the times the print will shift in a random z level. if I try with USB, I get the "Packet timed out" error.. !!
    Have you solved your problem or still suffering as I am ??
    Thank you in advance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast