Close

Student

Extreme bed warping

I'm wondering if this is a common problem, but when the bed on my Creator is heated, you can physically see the left support arm warped down. For the few print jobs I've done, I've preheated the bed and leveled, but I'd be concerned that the warp won't be consistent or is putting stress on the support rods. I can still print ok, it's just a concern about not knowing what I don't know.

Anyone else notice this? Or has anyone found a good solution to reinforce the arms and/or bed platform?

Also, for what it's worth, it seems the stock aluminum platform is not flat. I'm not surprised since its just aluminum sheet and not milled plate/billet. I installed a glass platform last night and I could just get my 0.003" feeler gauge between the glass and the stock aluminum bed.

Then to top that off, it appears that the print head must sag slightly in the middle of the print bed. I'm assuming the glass is "perfectly" flat and I noticed that after leveling at the 4 locations, when the machine does the check in the center, it is a bit tighter.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by indy3der View Post
    I'm wondering if this is a common problem, but when the bed on my Creator is heated, you can physically see the left support arm warped down. For the few print jobs I've done, I've preheated the bed and leveled, but I'd be concerned that the warp won't be consistent or is putting stress on the support rods. I can still print ok, it's just a concern about not knowing what I don't know.

Anyone else notice this? Or has anyone found a good solution to reinforce the arms and/or bed platform?

Also, for what it's worth, it seems the stock aluminum platform is not flat. I'm not surprised since its just aluminum sheet and not milled plate/billet. I installed a glass platform last night and I could just get my 0.003" feeler gauge between the glass and the stock aluminum bed.

Then to top that off, it appears that the print head must sag slightly in the middle of the print bed. I'm assuming the glass is "perfectly" flat and I noticed that after leveling at the 4 locations, when the machine does the check in the center, it is a bit tighter.
    My plate is not flat either, and it's getting worse.

Unfortunately I went to order a new hotbed and glass plate for $58, but they wanted $140 total for delivery...

Let's just say I'll stick with a warped plate for now

Student
    Geoff,
    Thanks again for your response and helping me to know I'm not alone.

Here are a few solutions I've found:
    US$150 for milled aluminum support arms

http://bctechnologicalsolutions.com/...ade/index.html

If you've got access to a metal laser cutter and a metal brake

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:269462

And there are some sellers offering the add on pieces

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/aMFLLsvUXFo

Maybe I'll pursue one of these options.

I've yet to print anything of my own design yet. I'm just learning the limitations / personality of this machine.

I got the same problem. Mine bends upon heating which is a huge pain.

I'm going to try the glass panel on the top, and if it doesn't work I'll try the ipad screen trick.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by pupuxe View Post
    I got the same problem. Mine bends upon heating which is a huge pain.

I'm going to try the glass panel on the top, and if it doesn't work I'll try the ipad screen trick.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    IPad screen? What the?

Engineer
    Yeah geoff, the gorilla glass used in ipad screens is supposed to be a really good bed. I have never personally tried it though.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    Yeah geoff, the gorilla glass used in ipad screens is supposed to be a really good bed. I have never personally tried it though.
    Wow.. I didn't think they would tolerate that sort of heat, but I think I might have an old one laying around somewhere, thanks guys. Been trying to find a really thin piece of glass that does the trick but hard to get tempered glass that thin, and no one wants to ship it out.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I wonder if you guys could modify your beds to use what Makerfarm uses and sells? It does not warp at all and you just put an inexpensive piece of glass over it that you can get at the hardware store for a couple of dollars. The glass clamps down with small black spring clips.

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/p...-heat-bed.html

Here is a photo of one corner of mine:

MakerfarmBed.jpg
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com