Close

What 3D printer to buy?

In the process of buying a 3D printer mainly for printing photoscanned archeological objects. I need a full color printer and it must have a large print area and good resolution.

I have been looking at the 3D systems projet 660 pro. http://www.3dsystems.com/3d-printers.../projet-660pro

The 660 is an expensive printer but have had models printed with it before that i was happy with. Is this a good choice? Does this printer have a good reputation? What other brands are there to consider?. Price and performance is important as well as economical prints.

This is a very very nice 3D printer. Why does the subject of your post ask about color? I'm guessing that was a mistake

The 660 Pro is one of the top printers on the market. I am not sure how much it costs but I would think it's in the $XXX,XXX range. Are you willing to spend that much money?

Yes what color the printer has matters not. It was a misstake

I have been offered a slightly used projet 660 for around 53.000 EUR. It is not for home use. The intent is to print photoscanned models of artifacts for science and museums. My limit would be around 60.000 EUR. What options do i have? Is the 660 a good choise? I need large build area , great color print quality and high res prints. Also low material cost is important. If it could be used secondarily for prototype printing for other applications it is a plus.

What is the price for a new one? What types of materials do you need to print in?

Quote Originally Posted by ronnytedeski View Post
    What is the price for a new one? What types of materials do you need to print in?
    First priority is printing 3D models generated with photogrammetry for museum exhibitions and sciense / Archeology. Secondary interest is to use the printer for general prototyping and proof of concept for customers.

I do not know much about materials but it does not have to be very durable for this purpose as the models will be handled with care. Great surface quality and color is important. Also if the models could be used for casting metal it would be great.

I think the Projet 660 meets all my needs?

The new price is about 15% higher in my country.

Whats thats the best commercial 3D printer that can be used for mass production and e-manufacturing?