Close

Technician

Autodesk 123D Catch

Gday All,

Came across this software online tonight ( http://www.123dapp.com/catch ) and was wondering if anyone has tried it out and if so, how it performed.

Apparently you take app 50 pictures of an object, upload the images to the cloud and it then meshes all pictures into the one object that you can then play around with and use for a 3D print.

Looks like a promising alternative to purchasing a scanner providing it functions like depicted.

Lycan

I tried it to do a 3D print of my motorcycle. It didn't work, but I think that was because NONE of this type of software likes shiny subjects.

If I had time I would try it with dull objects. Software from 123D** usually works.

What do you want to do? Land a bait fish then upscale it with 3D printing to claim a fishing record?

OME

Technician
    Shhhhhh,

Don't go telling everyone, now I will have to use a different plan to get a big fish pic.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I tried it to do a 3D print of my motorcycle. It didn't work, but I think that was because NONE of this type of software likes shiny subjects.
    My best suggestion would be to go crazy with talcum powder and maybe colored chalk dust to knock the shine off the normally shiny thing you're scanning, and then have a laser pointer with a "star filter" on a tripod shining on it to make a good even dot pattern.

Then clean it all up with a shop vac afterwards of course, what's the point of a nice bike if it's not shiny?