Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Student
    Extruder on a cat, not new, but I hate the smell of burning pelt.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    Although they may still have a ways to go I do feel that they are onto something. Why do I feel this way? Because Drone and 3d printing technologies are expanding extremely quickly. Look how far we have come in only 2-3 years.
    That's like saying puppies are good and coffee is good, let's combine them! ha ha. I think we can all safely say that 3D printing via drone will never become a viable reality in our lifetime.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by brbubba View Post
    I think we can all safely say that 3D printing via drone will never become a viable reality in our lifetime.
    I say we let it be this generation's Flying Car. People who understand enough about either field know that the core concept of a quadcopter printer is hopelessly flawed, but it sounds so good to the layperson that it might inspire them to learn more.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it does seem weird.
    Given that you'd need a large nozzle and fast feed of material for itto be of any practical use. How's it going to carry all the material such a printer would need.
    As far as stability and precision goes. yeah it can be done. just look at the 2 axis gimbals on the new DJI drones. Stable as anything.
    Its not that it couldn't be done, these idiots just haven't used the right kit. It's simply that there's bugger all point to doing it.

The solution to the unlimited size 3d printer is much simpler - extendible crane on a mobile platform.

Engineer-in-Training
    The printer will need to be free-floating and controlled separately. But once in optical distance of a surface, a control system similar to an optical mouse can keep the hot end still with great precision.

As for power, some high-efficiency solar cells on top can power the hot end.

As for need, one might be: Printing a camera mount on top of a crashed plane, to survey the area, or printing a mount for a radio beacon on an un-climbable part of a cliff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12