Close

Technician

Microsoft now has a Design Page on Thingiverse?

I just saw this today:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/MicrosoftStore/designs

Funny that they now have 3d print designs. Does this mean they have plans for a printer of some sorts?

Technician
    I believe they are planning to launch a 3D printer line in the near future.

Wrong, just wrong.

I'm not sure what they plan to do with their thingiverse store. They haven't posted any new designs since middle of March. Perhaps they have given up.....

I believe they are planning to launch a 3D printer line in the near future.
    That's a joke right? I can't see Microsoft getting into 3D printing. They are more of a software company.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by RitzLLS View Post

That's a joke right? I can't see Microsoft getting into 3D printing. They are more of a software company.
    I think the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One would like to have a word with you.

Staff Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by atoff View Post
    I think the Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One would like to have a word with you.
    There's also that tablet that nobody cares about*, and didn't they aquire a smartphone making company to make official Microsoft branded Windows Phones for when people start caring about those?
    Oh, and we can't forget the Zune, can we? (Or have we already?)

*Statistically speaking, outside of Japan, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by RitzLLS View Post
    What is 3D printing about? A couple stepper motors and some plastic filament?

The way I see it, it is all about the software. You need the software to generate a design. You need the software to slice it. You need the software to send it to your controller board. And of course, you need the firmware that runs on the controller board. The bulk of the complexity is in the software, not the hardware. Of course, they would have to put a screen on anything they did. Otherwise when they made your printer crash (twice a day), there wouldn't be any way to display a 'Blue Screen'.

Roxy makes an excellent point. I wonder what type of plans MSFT has when it comes to the software side of 3D printing. It is interesting that they have a thingiverse page, because you don't think of them as a company that is into designing 3D objects. Something must be up their sleeves, I would imagine.