Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robo R1

1 100.00%
  • Da Vinci Pro 3-in-1

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    no idea - might do, guess it would depend on how much pressure was used to apply the transfer.

Staff Engineer
    I was intrigued to read in the notes for the mug press that the pressure to ensure a good print would require that the foam pads surrounding the mug be expanded (bulge) to the mug top and also to close the sides of the clamp. Pretty substantial forces appear to be involved.

I think it might be possible to use an epoxy coating on the 3D printed mug to strengthen and make watertight the mug, but epoxy conducts heat too, making the sublimation printing aspect yet questionable.

Hm, sounds like this might not work if that's the case...anyone have any other suggestions?

Staff Engineer
    If your objective is to create a prototype mug, you could 3D print the model, ideally without undercuts, then use the model as the "plug" for a silicone mold. If the mug has a handle, that would complicate things, but would still be possible. Once you have the mold, you could use any quality casting resin to generate another mug that isn't so sensitive to temperature. You'd want to sand away the layer lines or otherwise treat the 3D print (primer, glossy paint) before performing the casting, as silicone molding picks up every detail, even fingerprints! It adds another series of steps to the process, but you've referenced it as a prototype, not a production, justifying the extra work.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    first - try it :-)

People keep telling me I can't do things with fdm.
    Mostly they're wrong.
    So first thing - try it, might work, might not. You don't know till you try :-)

Staff Engineer
    I like to make mistakes too. It's better if the mistakes could be small but the learning experience will be large. It's even better if the mistakes aren't repeated, but as time passes, it's easier to forget the learning process.

In 2021 Quinny is wondering what could be the best options to utilize for the designing of mugs.

Staff Engineer
    Others might wonder as I do, why Quinny speaks of himself/herself in the third person. (grin)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12