Close

ABS not sticking to heated bed

I recently brought an ender 5, I started printing off with the white plastic that came with it. It worked perfectly, until I ran out. So I wanted to print an rc boat and thought ABS would be a better material to printing it with. So I bought a roll of Abs. But I am having a lot of issues with it. 1, it doesn't stick to the bed properly, I've tried cleaning it with methonol, re-leveling it, but nothing worked. Then I used hairspray on the mat, the filament stuck! I thought I have finally overcome my problems, then came warping. I can't stop he warping!! So if anyone has any tips on how to print with abs PROPERLY, please let me know.

Super Moderator
    Suggest search for You Tube videos on printing ABS, lots out there.

Thanks, but I've tried to do what you tubers say but it still didn't work out for me, either I'm doing it wrong or their methods don't work. But a main issue is bed adhesion, is a glass bed upgrade worth it?

Super Moderator
    I'm using ASA, very similar to ABS but without the smell. I'm using a glass bed.

This is what I do, I'm by no means an expert but the following works well for me.......

Enclosed printer
    Level the bed. ( very important )
    Preheat the bed and then wait 20-30 minutes before starting a print to get inside the enclosure warm and stabilsed.
    Nozzle temp 255.
    Bed 94
    Speed 25-30 mm......lower better
    0.2mm layer height.
    On no account open the enclosure at any time until everything has cooled right down to ambient, ideally print finishes at bed time and is taken off the bed next morning.

Magigoo on the bed and if any sticking problems when cold just dribble some water round the edge and wait a short while for it to soften the Magigoo.

I'm not using a raft and just a skirt to purge the nozzle first.

Engineer-in-Training
    ABS is not one material but a whole range of different materials some easier than others and some that seem not to be printable at all. There are a number of ABS FILAMENTS using a low warp technology that seem to print much more readily than the basic brands. Even these brands require a little more care than PLA. One of the most important elements is a draught free printing space which usually means an enclosed printer!

I have been printing medium sized object in Low Warp ABS -either 3Dfilaprint's ABS-x or Ooznest ABS-pro on both an Eder-3 and a TwoTrees Sapphire pro using the same profile

If it is any help :-
    Extruder 250-255 C
    Bed 80c
    Bed material Tufnol sheet sanded 240 grit and coated with 10% solution of ABS filament dissolved in Acetone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambo View Post
    ABS is not one material but a whole range of different materials some easier than others and some that seem not to be printable at all. There are a number of ABS FILAMENTS using a low warp technology that seem to print much more readily than the basic brands. Even these brands require a little more care than PLA. One of the most important elements is a draught free printing space which usually means an enclosed printer! I have been printing medium sized object in Low Warp ABS -either 3Dfilaprint's ABS-x or Ooznest ABS-pro on both an Eder-3 and a TwoTrees Sapphire pro using the same profileIf it is any help :-Extruder 250-255 CBed 80cBed material Tufnol sheet sanded 240 grit and coated with 10% solution of ABS filament dissolved in Acetone.
    Thanks a lot for the help guys

Making my own enclosure

Can I make my own enclosure out acrylic sheets, because acrylic acts as an insulator and has a melting point of 160c. Should I do it? Because I don't feel like paying $150 for one.

Super Moderator
    I don't think it really matters what you make the enclosure out of IMHO. A big cardboard box would probably do the trick but you wouldn't be able to see the print progress. The main criteria I think is that it is draught free, just remember that you will have an enclosure full of toxioc ABS fumes when you open it.

Engineer-in-Training
    I made both of mine out of Acrylic sheet but Acrylic sheet is quiet expensive so plywood would do with an Acrylic door. Both of my enclosures have ope tops

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I made a enclosure with a single sheet of plywood Photo below

Enclosure.jpg

Example1.jpg

Enclosure 2.jpg

The Last photo show that I have clear plastic front doors that do not completely cover the front this was by design.
    I wanted to have a small breathing hole for ventilation purposes, I have a bathroom fan in attached to the back wall with a dinner control to adjust the fan speed.

I have made few changes to the enclosure like a Quad 120 Vac socket, An some tool storage holders.

yes I use enough fan speed to remove the ABS smell to vent outside my home.
    This slight breeze has never effected one of my prints as shown MPCNC Middle Assembly photo below.

Middle Assembly.jpg
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 08-20-2021 at 09:38 AM.