Close

Student

Ender 3 problem.

I have just finished assembling an Ender 3 printer. The extruder on the X-axis travels to the right-hand side and hammers against the stop when selecting Auto Hom. The extruder then positions at front right. I printed a fan cover and found that the ext "ender" was a mirror image which suggests that the X-axis motor is incorrectly wired. On the extruder motor and Z axis motors, the wires to the plugs are identical. That is wire 1 to plug 1, wire 2 to plug 4, wire 3 to plug 3 and wire 4 to plug 6. The X-axis motor is wired as follows: wire 1 to plug 1, wire 2 to plug 4, wire 3 to plug 3 and wire 4 to plug 3. This would appear to be wrong. One would assume all motors would use the same wiring protocol. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Ian

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    You have 2 wires going into the same cavity of a connector? I am trying to understand wht you are saying. But maybe i can help with just explaining better what those wires are and where they go inside the stepper motor. Inside the motor there are 2 sets of coil windings. Obviously an electrical circuit will require 2 wires to be complete. The stepper driver powers one coil to move the stepper one step, then powers the other set to move the motor to the next step. And the driver is just constantly toggling the 2 coils to actuate the stepper motor. Micro stepping is where both coils are powered up at the same time to create therotecial in between steps. But to keep things as simple as we can here, if you aquired a 4 wire stepper motor without a plug on it as some do come all you would need to do is find the 2 pairs that have continuity so you know the 2 coils and then wire them. If the coils are backwards the motor will move backwards and you can either repin the connector OR just reverse the direction of the stepper in marlin.

Student
    I am new to the use of stepper motors but the wiring to the X axis appears wrong when compared to the other motors. One assumes all would use the same wiring convetion
    X.jpgZ.jpg

Student
    I am new to the use of stepper motors but the wiring to the X axis appears wrong when compared to the other motors. One assumes all would use the same wiring convention
    X.jpgZ.jpg

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I am an auto mechanic and in the automotive world idle air control valves have been stepper motors driven by PWM circuits since the 1980's. Sorry you seem to be so far behind the curve. If you honestly believe you have an inproperly assembled harness then swap it with the other axis and see if the problem moves. Is that not the smart thing to do here if we are to compare one axis to another in the name of diagnostics?

There is a reality here that is these 2 circuits don't really care which way the power or ground comes. Only that each circuit is complete. A coil will generate an Em field no matter which side of the windings see power or ground. I think this may be what you are choking on.
    Last edited by AutoWiz; 11-08-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoWiz View Post
    I am an auto mechanic and in the automotive world idle air control valves have been stepper motors driven by PWM circuits since the 1980's. Sorry you seem to be so far behind the curve. If you honestly believe you have an improperly assembled harness then swap it with the other axis and see if the problem moves. Is that not the smart thing to do here if we are to compare one axis to another in the name of diagnostics?

There is a reality here that is these 2 circuits don't really care which way the power or ground comes. Only that each circuit is complete. A coil will generate an Em field no matter which side of the windings see power or ground. I think this may be what you are choking on.
    I trained as a radio technician from 1958 and moved on to automatic washing machine & refrigeration service before owing an appliance manufacturing business. We did not use stepper motors in our industry. I retired in 2006 and have only just purchased a unit using stepper motors. My training was such that until one knew how an item, in this case, a stepper motor, worked, one did not change anything. I had the stepper motor internals explained to me and it was then obvious that the X-axis motor was incorrectly wired. Copying the wiring of the other motors corrected the problem.
    Thank you for your input.

NVM - I see you already rewired them

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The extruder on the X-axis travels to the right-hand side and hammers against the stop when selecting Auto Hom
    the first post would suggest that the endstops were in the wrong sockets.
    have you checked that ?
    easy to do.