Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1 off 3D model required in UK

Hi, Could anyone tell me if this model would be suitable for a 3d printer and if so how much? the square section is 3mm x 3mm and overall dimensions are 100mm x 100mm x 20mm

Thank you
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Michael-Little View Post
    Hi, Could anyone tell me if this model would be suitable for a 3d printer and if so how much? the square section is 3mm x 3mm and overall dimensions are 100mm x 100mm x 20mm

Thank you
    Mike
    Hi

It certainly is 3D printable although it won't be the strongest in the world due to the design. I'd be happy to do it for filament cost/shipping plus beer money while it prints.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll firm up what that would come to.

Thanks

Josh

I just need it to hold a sponge filter in place for my aquarium and need as much surface area of the sponge unobstructed as possible. I am very interested, I have spoke to Sandwell college about half hour ago, and I can go there and print it for the cost of plastic used, but I will have to pop out of work to do so, so I may be going there Monday however not sure yet. I will defiantly be interested in a price please though.

out of interest what file type will I need to get this printed? just a STL file?

Thanks
    Mike

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    You should only need an STL file to have any 3D Printer print the Model.

Sure, send me the STL and that'll give me an idea of how much plastic there is. I can't see it being much over a tenner including shipping. If you fillet the corners and edges, that'll make it stronger without obstructing the area (assuming you have access to the original model). In terms of plastic, I have PLA, PETG, ABS and Nylon. Nylon is probably the strongest and best to deal with a wet environment whilst PLA can deform and degrade when in warm and wet environments. So make sure if you do go with the college they don't make it from PLA. Josh

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    PLA will also bleach it's color into fiberglass Shower Inserts as well. Beware of PLA 3D Printed Soap dishes.

IMG_2075.jpg
    Could not get a very good picture but you can see the bleached color ring.

I like PLA, it's great for quick, cheap and easy models, but it's not designed to be a working material. It is made from corn starch.

Thank you for the info, I didn't realise that was the case, looks like it would have to be nylon then? I have attached the STL & I have modified it a little and put a 2mm fillet I'm assuming this would be enough. I still have access to the file if it needs amending for any reason.

Would you let me know if you think this would be alright please?
    Thank you
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Roberts_clif, I've not had any experience with this sort of thing, We only use CAD at our company to design items, make sure they will fit in an assembly and make a 2D drawing for our toolmaker or fabricators. This is an interesting experience that's for sure. Also may use it to show my company the benefits of 3D printing for certain instances.

I have also had a little go with an automated CNC machine, however with that as I'm sure you know more than me we had to basically tell the machine how to machine the item, I thought maybe this would be the same?

Hi MikeI'd be able to print (in nylon) and ship it (anywhere UK) for ?10 if that's acceptable?Josh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast