Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

Wanted: Heated Bed with stand-alone controller. DIY?

First post here

I have a Tinkerine Ditto Pro that doesn?t have a heated bed. Would like to add one but don?t believe there is any way to tie into the hardware of the printer.
    I see there are 12 and 24v heated beds available from many sources but having a hard time figuring out a combination of power supply and hopefully a digital voltage/temperature controller to power it. Push buttons or dial...digital readout ideally

A parts list would be awesome if someone could help.... or just buy a printer that comes with a heated bed?

Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Holy crap $1899 !
    And no heated bed.
    They saw you coming.
    Anyway - have a look at the motherboard, could well be bed connectors already there.
    RAMPS 1.4, AT mega 2560,]
    well it's a $10 board setup - should still have heated bed connectors.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Well they appear to have a version of Marlin 1.1.07 on the bottom of the page. However saw no source code listed.
    If you request they may give you the Marlin source Code. Looking at your power supply below do not believe you have enough power supply for a Heated Bed.

Power Input AC 110-220V, 50-60 Hz
    Power Output DC 12V, 15A

They do however sell 110V Optional 3.4/6.8A 750W Silicone Heated Bed Heating Pad + LCD Thermostat For 3D Printers

Student
    Thanks for the replies...
    Yeah not a cheap printer but I didn?t buy it new (3months old). No heated bed option but it doesn’t sound like it voids the crappy warranty if I install one.
    Could you share a link to what a heated bed connector would look like? Of course IF it could supply enough power?

That 3.4/6.8A heating pad with LCD on reprap looks to be exactly what I need thanks! Now to just find the LCD/ thermostat component separate to save a few bucks and solder it myself....

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    E-Bay Has Digital thermostats for almost everything from low to high cost.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    E-Bay Has Digital thermostats for almost everything from low to high cost.
    Ordered, thanks

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    show us what it looks like when you get it setup.

bed connectors are usually upright green wire connectors with 'bed' printed on the board somewhere nearby.

Student
    Finally got the components from eBay and had time to install them
    First of all I made sure to order a 110v temp controller, but the instructions show 12v -24v -220v. Assuming this is fine to use with 110v, it works somewhat anyways

Could use some help here if possible. 2 issues to figure out....

1. The 110v digital temp controller from eBay came with its own temperature probe, however seeing as how the silicone pad has one embedded into it already I decided to solder those wires to the stock connector and use it instead. The specs of these 2 separate probes are incompatible due to the fact at room temperature the probe in the silicone mat fools the temperature controller into thinking its colder than it actually is. At room temp is shows approx Minus 25 degrees, and if I select heating mode and set the temp to +25 degrees its really quite HOT (can't find my infrared thermometer right now), like way more than 25

2. the 110v digital temp controller will heat up the silicone mat and then slowly cools own without kicking back on. Sometimes it does, most times it doesn't. The instructions are brutal and are only in Chinese. Even the install pictures weren't easy to understand

I removed the bottom panel of the printer and tied the power supply for the thermostat into the supply wires of the driver (Line and neutral). If I did it again I would probably have connected the wires directly to where the 110v comes into the printer instead of sharing the power with the Meanwell driver but will fix that some other day

Any advice to those 2 issues?

Initially I had fabricated some wider aluminum brackets to make room for the 20cm x 20cm heated pad under the print area entirely but because this heated up the "Alupanel" rated for 90c , which then had to heat up the glass bed I had to change plans

Had to remove all the adhesive that came with heated pad and instead spread a thin layer of high heat silicone to the bottom side of the glass and let that cure for a couple days. Works much better this way. Also had to create aluminum flat bar standoffs to give room between the Alupanel and the glass to accommodate the thickness of the silicone pad. Then use binder clips instead of stock little clips that come with the printer

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Well they appear to have a version of Marlin 1.1.07 on the bottom of the page. However saw no source code listed.
    If you request they may give you the Marlin source Code. Looking at your power supply below do not believe you have enough power supply for a Heated Bed.

Power Input AC 110-220V, 50-60 Hz
    Power Output DC 12V, 15A

They do however sell 110V Optional 3.4/6.8A 750W Silicone Heated Bed Heating Pad + LCD Thermostat For 3D Printers
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Holy crap $1899 !
    And no heated bed.
    They saw you coming.
    Anyway - have a look at the motherboard, could well be bed connectors already there.

well it's a $10 board setup - should still have heated bed connectors.
    Thanks again for the help earlier to both of you.
    So seeing as how I cant figure this standalone unit out. Will need to tie into the main board to supply this heated pad with juice. I swapped the thermistors mentioned in the last post and get an accurate reading but it won’t heat and then keep the bed hot it just shuts off after one round of heating....

Could either of you elaborate on how I would proceed with this? Im capable of anything but understanding whats required is a bit over my head right now
    It appears I have a Ramps 1.4 board from verifying on google, just with a white coating. It has an unused D8 port for the heating pad and a T1 port for the thermistor...cool
    The power supply is a Meanwell RSP-100-12. Will this setup supply enough power for a 200w silicone heating pad? Is there any tests to verify? I have a voltmeter

Then how to proceed... upgrade the power supply if needed...Do I NEED the Marlin source code.... or just a slicing software other than the recommended Tinkerine Suite which has few standard settings and input a line in g-code?

Been 2 1/2 months waiting to get this thing a heated bed

I appreciate any further assistance!
    Last edited by 3Design; 01-24-2019 at 01:10 AM.

Student

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast