Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Advice for a newcomer on a first printer?!

I have some experience 3D modeling and am very tech savvy with computers. So I am looking into a buying a printer from a brand that has great customer service. I have no knowledge on this market, nor the parts that make up the printer. I've been making prototypes, however it becomes irritating when you have to wait a while to get the part. The time has come to actually get one so I don't have to wait. PLA and ABS are the only materials I use. Is it true that a heated bed and sturdy metal frame is worth having?

Budget: $150 - $250

Any info is appreciated!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Fastest way is to Scan E-Bay, set the price limits and this is what they have.

I found two Used Hictops Aluminum frame 3D Printers for Around $200.00 each a 3DP11 and 3DP12 have upgraded them to better the 3DP17.
    There are many 3D Printers in the price range of which you have selected, these are New 3D Printers. I chose the Hictop Because of the YouTube Assemble video I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    Fastest way is to Scan E-Bay, set the price limits and this is what they have.

I found two Used Hictops Aluminum frame 3D Printers for Around $200.00 each a 3DP11 and 3DP12 have upgraded them to better the 3DP17.
    There are many 3D Printers in the price range of which you have selected, these are New 3D Printers. I chose the Hictop Because of the I watched.
    I was checking out the Creality Ender 3, however I dislike the fact that many buyers had issues with leveling this because of uneven pieces and one person had to design a stopper for one of the motors. It was also advised to buy a glass bed and some vibration reducer part for it.

I started with it's predecessor, It has two 8mm smooth rods to support the hotbed, It also has a large build area 220mm X 270mm X 190mm.

On the Hictops 3D Printer page it is the same price as the Ender 3 at $269.00. The only part I would Purchase would be a Proximity Sensor SN04-N to replace the Z-Axis end-stop switch.
    I have all the Marlin Firmware configured up to Marlin 1.1.9, however I stopped flashing my 3D Printers at Marlin 1.1.5 though continued to update the firmware as it came out for others.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 10-21-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bear in mind you are at the bottom end of the market/ So expect to have to modify the printer to one degree or another to get it working optimally.

That said - depending on the part size you could just get a monoprice mini delta: $160
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...403&p_id=21666

I've got one coming for my birthday next month :-)
    Covers pretty much all the bases, looks great, doesn't need mods (although I'm sure I'll develop something)

If you need a larger print volume I'd suggest upping your budget to at least $400 and look for a better quality kit.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    That said - depending on the part size you could just get a monoprice mini delta: $160
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...403&p_id=21666
    I looked at the Specs on this little guy Aardvark .

ABS, PLA, Wood, Copper Fill, Steel Fill, Bronze Fill

• 50 micron layer resolution
    • Can print from a computer using a wireless Wi-Fi ? or physical USB connection, or offline with a micro SD? card
    • Up to 150mm/sec print speed
    • 180 ~ 260?C extruder nozzle temperature range
    • Up to 60?C build plate temperature range
    • ?110 x 120 mm build area
    • Compatible with Windows? and Mac? OS X?

And question how it can print some of these the only 60?C build plate temperature.

I just got into ABS and I am having problems with ABS warping at 100?C build plate temperature. How is this going to work a 60?C.
    I only question, because you were planning to get one for your birthday. Do you know some secrets I don't about build plate adhesion and ABS warping for a 60? build plate.

I never use abs :-)
    Plus on a open framed printer with an unheated build volume - neither should anyone else :-)
    Plus I'm pretty sure some of the print surfaces I have would let you print at lower temps then usual.
    I do have some abs plus - but even that stinks when you print it.
    I've been trying to give my old abs away for years.
    Once people try pla or pet-g - they just don't want even free abs.

The print plate temp is interesting - it used to be listed at 110c.
    We'll see :-)
    Ah ha - pic says 60c, text says 50-100c

Also - only straight pla and abs need a heated plate. All the pla with inclusions and flexible pla (also all the tpu's), will happily print on unheated build plate

Reasons i want one: built in wifi, proper build plate levelling out of the box, it can sit on top of my k200 delta - so won't take up any desk space. Properly portable. Should be simple to run it off a 12v lithium ion battery pack. It's the cutest printer I've ever seen. :-)
    I'm going to switch the nozzle out to 0.25mm and use it for super detailed and fine prints (apparently if you go much smaller, nozzle wise, you get real back pressure issues).
    Pretty sure I will be able to print wheels with built in bearings small enough for 20x20 extrusion. Plus much other stuff.
    As far as a beginner goes - it has everything an expensive machine will have - and is pretty much the best out-of-the-box plug-n-play budget machine you can currently get. Plus easily removeable print bed.
    Planning on getting some aluminium discs made that I can keep different print surfaces on for testing purposes and others.

From the point of view of someone new to 3d printing. It's perfect.
    Cheap as chips - in the us anyway. Way more expensive in the uk ;-(
    For $160 you get to try 3d printing on a machine with pretty much all the more expensive features. So if you need a larger build volume you'll have a much better idea what features you need and which you don't.
    Plus very good print quality.

I'll let you know about the build plate in a month :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 10-22-2018 at 03:48 PM.

That looks like a neat printer. I did research on delta vs cartesian frame. The cartesian is more accurate... By the way, the open frame seems more popular, but isnt it ideal to have an enclosed frame to retain heat?

[QUOTE I did research on delta vs cartesian frame. The cartesian is more accurate...][/QUOTE]
    nope. Accuracy is pretty similiar - but delta's can usually do it faster :-)

Both types of machine use the same stepper motors, firmware and slicers - so accuracy is always down to the actual mechanics of the machine in question.

Because the build plate on a delta does not move - that removes one potential source of inaccuracy. As long as your belts are tight and everything else is mechanically good.
    Accuracy is at east as good as cartesian, arguably better.
    I have an i3 a replicator clone and a delta - I know whereof I speak :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I have had good experience with Geeetech. They have a nice lineup of aluminum extrusion printers. And are worth at least taking a look at. Here is the A10:
    https://www.amazon.com/GEEETECH-Fast...s=geeetech+a10

The dual extruder A10m:
    https://www.geeetech.com/geeetech-a1...er-p-1036.html

The A20:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Geeetech-3d-P...0584413&chn=ps
    The dual extruder A20m:
    https://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers...BoCRiQQAvD_BwE

And the A30:
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Geeetech-A30-...4087695&chn=ps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast