Close

Student

First Project, i'm fell like i'm idiot. XD

Hi guys, i'm new here...my name is Gianni and i'm from Italy...I always wanted an xwing racer drone (250 class) so now i'm trying to make it by myself...i started the project on tinkercad just to waste a couple of hour while i was waiting the customer but then i finished it...i'll learn some better sofware in future (any advice on that?).the problem is that i have to split it in 4 to print it but meshmixer leaves the cuttted parts as an empty shell and this is waht i get if i try to slice it. this is the complete model:completo.stl.jpgthis is what i get from plane cuts in meshmixer:frsx.stl.jpgThis are how it looks in cura 3.5.1 and what i get if i try to slice it:frsx in cura.jpgstampato.jpgi really hope some of you guys can help me, i don't like at all the idea to start from the beginning.I attached the stl file. feel free to use it as you wish.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Pentapinguin; 10-18-2018 at 05:43 AM.

Student
    i found the solution, i had to make it solid in meshmixer

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what i would do is a partial redesign.
    cut the rotor arms off about halfway and make them so they slot into the rest (rectangular slot on the body and a rectngular tab coming out of the end of the rotor arm.) so when you glue them you don't lose any strength and the can't twist.
    Then do the same to the front of the cockpit.

This gives you the main body the right size to print in one go - well with an awful lot of supports.
    And five smaller, easy to print parts (though again with a fair amount of supports).

cutting it directly into 4 - probably won't work very well and a flat glue surface on those cut lines will give you a very weak model.

Student
    that sounds like a great idea to meke the frame stronger, but i have no idea about how to do it!! hahah XDfor the moment i just have been able to cut it this way...i need to improve my skills than i'll maybe make that way!! thank you for the reply.

Student
    i got some results from "make solid" in meshmixer but it tends to fill spaces that are supposed to stay empty and leave empty parts that i would like to keep full...any idea about this?i installed fusion 360, do you think it worth to be learnd or it is better to swtch to something else?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well with the design software you use.
    you simply make the rotor arms two pieces rather than one.
    It's actually much simpler than cutting it into 4.