Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Australian Man wants to Open 30 3D printing Stores

This is an interesting story. The owner of 3D Printing Studios in Australia wants to open up 30 different stores to offer 3d printing services in the next 2 years. His stores allow for purchase of 3D Printers as well as classes on 3d printing, and services on larger more expensive printers. Read more on Stuart Grove and his endeavors at http://3dprint.com/3976/australian-man-3d-printing/

What do you think? Is it too much too early, or is it a perfect time for stores like this to open and succeed?

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    I think 30 stores might be a little ambitious, but the way technology moves who knows, I was hoping that in the 2 years i've had my machine they would come in leaps and bounds but sadly, they have not really. I think he will go well selling in a corporate endeavor rather than these stores tho, engineers, architects etc. Alot of people have 3D printers in Australia, our location close to Asia has ensured we get our printers fast and cheap already, so unless he can really come up with some serious deals, he still will be facing the same old battle, which Harvey Norman is constantly bantering about, and that's online sales killing the retail industry.

People might go into his store and see the machine sure, but people stand there on their phones now and ebay in stores literally "mate, this same printer is on ebay free delivered for $300 less? can you match that?" if it's No, he loses.. if it's yes he loses profit and the guy on the Ebay store who has practically no overheads other than paypal and ebay fees wins again , meanwhile the Stuart Groves of the world suffer because they opened 30 stores thinking they were going to be able to cover rent, staff and turn over a profit.

Good luck to him, but as I said, a little ambitious in Australia, to me he just seems like another wanna be revolution starter, hopefully it won't send him and his family begging on the streets if it turns pear shaped. I'd be happier to see an Australian come up with a new type of 3D printer rather than 'bringing 3D printing to the masses" I'm getting so sick of hearing that. The masses know about it, but the masses can't afford $2500 printers, the masses can't afford $1500 printers.

When the prices become justifiable to the naive(like your financial controller... err wife) then things will be easier for everyone.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-18-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Been to the store good setup. Going to check out second store opening. I feel it also 1 location & 2 business model

1. the first store is abit out of the way for average person up market area. Second is base near cafes and shopping area next to public transport hub .

2. 3dsystem is selling their cube at officeworks (giant stationary supplier). So a good business strategy targeting and developing a local user and community maybe be one way.

So it be interesting to see how he goes.

I've been to the store. That's where I first got interested in 3D Printing. I went back a second time on the weekend (when that part of Sydney's tourist precinct is jumping. The shop was closed. I got the impression that the shop was more of a tourist attraction than anything practical. I've tried to phone and email, but no responses.

I was in my local Officeworks yesterday asking about 3D printers. It is only possible to order them for delivery to that shop. The nearest shop with printers on display was about an hour away in another city.

A chain of electrical stores (Jaycar) which is similar to the old Radio Shack concept, are offereing a RepRap type printer for $AU1350. Again, no model on display at my local store.

30 stores Australia-wide in two years? Tell him he's dreaming!

OME

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by old man emu View Post
    I've been to the store. That's where I first got interested in 3D Printing. I went back a second time on the weekend (when that part of Sydney's tourist precinct is jumping. The shop was closed. I got the impression that the shop was more of a tourist attraction than anything practical. I've tried to phone and email, but no responses.

I was in my local Officeworks yesterday asking about 3D printers. It is only possible to order them for delivery to that shop. The nearest shop with printers on display was about an hour away in another city.

A chain of electrical stores (Jaycar) which is similar to the old Radio Shack concept, are offereing a RepRap type printer for $AU1350. Again, no model on display at my local store.

30 stores Australia-wide in two years? Tell him he's dreaming!

OME
    The Jaycar reprap has alot of overhead mate, can't say what they pay for it as my mate who manages a store in sydney will shoot me, but let's say I can get them a fair deal cheaper than that, am considering getting a couple, it's not a bad model.

Jaycar is a good example too of specialty stores and their struggle in Australia, we used to have Tandy, Dick smith.... and now there really is only a handful and Jaycar is the go-to electronics store, and even those are closing down.

I agree that the printer itself is quite OK, just overpriced in comparison with similar types on the market.

It is getting hard to get a reliable electronics supplier. Even harder to get a retail supplier where the staff know their stuff.

OME