Close

Student

Rubberize bottom of 3D printed part

I had a No-Spill Can Holder printed by VoodooMFG and have a question.
    Is there a way to coat the bottom of this holder so it won't slide all over my desk? It was printed with PET-G.

NoSpillCanHolder-01.jpgNoSpillCanHolder-02.jpg

Staff Engineer
    So many options present themselves here. The holes out on the ends of the wings could have rubber feet pressed into place. If coating is your inclination, a can of Plasti-Dip in your choice of color will give you a nice spray-on non-slip finish. If you mask the part properly, only the bottom will get coated. That would be my choice, but only because I have two cans of the stuff.

Student
    Plastic DIP sounds good to me. I will have to search on Amazon. I see there is a Super Grip spray for fabrics. I wonder if that would also work?

Staff Engineer
    I saw that too, but I suspect that it would require a more porous material to be useful. The Plastidip will peel with enough force, but that can be mitigated by having it wrap around the ears a bit. Thorough cleaning of the surface will improve the adhesion, of course. Even ordinary rubbing alcohol is likely to be good, as will window cleaner.

Student
    How would I apply the Plastic Dip to the bottom of my can holder? Could it be brushed on?

Staff Engineer
    You can get either spray on version or the brush/dip type. I think the spray on stuff would give better results.

One option I hadn't mentioned is a product I've seen hanging on grocery store shelves, a sort of impulse buy type of product. It's a soft rubber mat with a not-quite-checkerboard pattern of holes. The grocery store stuff is inexpensive compared to the industrial version, but I think it's the same stuff. It's marketed as both a shelf liner/drawer liner and a jar opener grip mat. In the industrial world, it's marketed as a tool box drawer liner and also as a sanding mat, used to prevent small parts from scooting away when applying a power sander.

Student
    Yea, I was thinking of using that shelf liner. I have some if I can remember where I put it. I got it at a Dollar Tree Store. Maybe I can stick it on the bottom using some spray-on glue.