Close

Student

Ender 3 Screen Issues

Hello All! I recently purchased the Creality Ender 3 about a month ago and have loved it! Recently, after starting a print (both via USB and SD) the screen flashes random and weird symbols (Pics attached). The first time the printer did it, I stopped it, turned it off and back on. Then restarted the print and it did the same thing. I let the print run its course to see what it did and the print turned out great. After the print completed, I turned the printer off and back on. I then checked that the ribbon cable wasn't getting any EMI (I read on another forum that it caused a similar issue for someone else) by rerouting it and trying a new print. No change. I later updated the firmware to the version from TH3D. I was already planning on updating the firmware in order to accept a BL Touch or similar bed leveling probe as well as to get thermal runaway protection but decided to go ahead and do it in desperate hopes that it would also solve this screen issue. After the successful firmware update, I tried a new print (both via USB and SD) and this time I got the weird screens and the bed began to heat up but then stopped. The screen stopped randomly changing between pages of weird symbols and the bed quite heating and the printer was stuck. I had to turn it off and back on to clear the screen. Has anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions on how to fix it? I have an email sent to Creality for a fix but have not gotten a response.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    I had this problem On my Hictop 3DP11 and My Hictop 3DP12 3D Printers.

Both were caused my stepper motor noise bleeding into the Cables for the LCD.

I solved the Problem By purchasing some Aluminum foil Duct Tape.
    I covered the LCD cables with a Painters tape just in case ever wanted to remove the Aluminum foil Duct Tape, taped the LCD cables to the T-Slot frame to the LCD.

Then I grounded the Aluminum foil Duct Tape.

Now it was not quite this simple as the location still had problems with interference and ended up moving the LCD to the farthest location from the Controllers and steppers

The Twins 2018-3.jpg

The LCD's were moved from the Top Frame to the Front of the 3D Printers, routing the LCD cables on the inside of the T-Slot frame

already successful?

Student
    Sorry for the delayed reply... It has been a crazy week at work and I have not had time to get back to my printer.

First off, thanks for the suggestion Roberts_Clif. I tried your suggestion but, unfortunately, it did not fix my issue. I tried shielding my wires like you suggested but still had the issue after adding the tape and grounding it.

The issue I had was that my screen was grounding out to the frame as best I can guess. That may sound weird but what ultimately fixed my issue was removing the bracket that held on the screen from the frame. My best guess is that the screen (being fixed to the metal bracket with metal screws and the bracket fixed to the metal frame with metal screws) was grounding out to some other electronics in the machine. After I removed the screen from the metal frame and left it laying on my desk, separate from the machine, the printer (and screen) function perfectly. I have ran 2 long prints with no issues (8+ hours each).

In the near future I will be printing a spacer out of plastic to put between the LCD bracket and frame as well as ordering some nylon screws to attach it to the frame with. The plastic spacer and nylon screws should isolate the LCD bracket and screen from whatever electrical interference I was having from attaching the LCD bracket to the machine frame.

Thanks again for the quick responses and I hope this thread helps someone else in the future.