Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Sculptify's 'David' 3D Printer - KS Campaign Soon - Uses Pellets instead of Filament

Sculptify is set to launch its Kickstarter campaign in a few weeks. They will be introducing a new 3D printer that uses something they call FLEX technology. It allows for directly feeding of plastic pellets rather than spools of filament. It will also be able to print in a huge variety of materials. It looks promising. No price has been announced as of yet, but we will keep you updated.

Read more on this at: http://3dprint.com/3940/sculptify-3d-printer/

What do you think?

Engineer-in-Training
    They have 3kg of pellets costing as much as 1kg spool of filament. If that's how they expect to charge for the pellets, then I'm pretty sure isn't competitive with other sources of pellets.

I'm curious how they solved the various things that make a pellet-based 3D printing less than practical. One problem is switching materials in a pellet-based system generally means wasting a considerable amount of material. I wonder if retraction is even a practical concept. An extruder screw might not be able to allow anywhere nearly as fast of a retraction as a filament retract, so it seems this might be at risk of considerably more nozzle ooze.

At any rate, I look forward to further information, I do think it pays to avoid irrational exuberance on this type of extrusion.
    Last edited by JRDM; 05-17-2014 at 10:18 PM.

hmmm, you could mix different colours and have a completely randomly coloured object......

Too many people pre-announcing pre-orders. I think they should just launch and stop talking about launching pre-orders...

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    Too many people pre-announcing pre-orders. I think they should just launch and stop talking about launching pre-orders...
    Yeah, this. It's become a very boring playbook perpetrated by trend-happy PR lackeys. And the "preorder" period of a Kickstarter is a month or two anyway, it seems you want to be able to take backings right away rather than say "we'll start accepting backings several weeks from now".
    Last edited by JRDM; 05-17-2014 at 10:23 PM.

They've announced that their KS campaign will be going live on Thursday the 26th. I'll be anxiously awaiting the price on this. I'd lvoe to have a 3D printer that takes pellets.

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse
    Just to update you guys.... The Sculptify 3D Printer has been announced and the name is the David 3D Printer. I know, a bit of a strange name but there is a reason.

3DPrint just did an article with more details - http://3dprint.com/7322/sculptify-david-3d-printer/

Anyone think they will be getting this when the Kickstarter campaign launches?

Engineer-in-Training
    Six weeks later, and it's yet another pre-announcement of a preorder?

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by JRDM View Post
    Six weeks later, and it's yet another pre-announcement of a preorder?
    You can also blame the "media" for giving them the outlet to pre-spam their spam.

Well, something happend to little David on the way to the KS playground. Met Goliath maybe ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast