Close

Threaded View

I have inherited eight 3D printers!

Hi!

I am a design/art teacher with a product design and graphic design background. I'm new to a magnet HS and I have eight 3D printers that have just been brought out of storage after being unused for about two years. I have yet to locate software or even all of the parts for these printers...

I have no experience with 3D printing but extensive CNC experience, strong mechanical aptitude and I'm comfortable with technology. I have been watching lots of videos and reading about our machines. I would appreciate any advice about which machine you think I should start with.

We have four Cubify Cubes. These are discontinued, have problematic reviews and use expensive protprietary spools of filament. Boo.

We have one Form 1+. This one seems really cool but it's expensive to run and sounds like a massive PITA to clean up after.

We have two Solidoodles. These look janky as heck but they have larger platforms and use generic filament.

We have one older Makerbot (plywood model).

Any thoughts on which one I should start working with first? My plan for this year is to keep my students working in 2D for the fall semester (Photoshop/Illustrator/AfterEffects/Premier) and then do 3D modeling (Sketchup/Blender) and 3D printing in the spring semester. I have a few months to tinker and hope to have several machines running before long.

Thanks for any advice anyone is willing to share.
    Last edited by matthewkphx; 09-03-2018 at 09:29 AM. Reason: formatting problems