Close

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by usarmyaircav View Post
    Msmnick, check out this thread, some of the same questions about upgrades have been posted and answered . http://3dprintboard.com/showthread.p...rinter-Ordered.
    Thanks for jumping in, Todd. Thanks to Rob as well for the response that came in while I was editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Msmnick View Post
    This is a wonderful read for me, I've looked at a number of printers, and I'm intrigued by the prusa I3v line, I'm pretty well set on a 10/12" model. At this point, I haven't ruled out more expensive printers, but like the idea of building it myself to get a feel for the printer, as well as its community base.
    Thanks for the feedback. I don't regret my MakerFarm choice a bit. It's a great way to go, especially as a learning experience. The community here is top notch. Along with superb customer support from MakerFarm, the level of support is hard to beat.

I've been considering adding a few components to the assembly out of the box so I can do it on first assembly rather than later, though indubitably I will have to do this in the future, anyway. I was considering the kysan motors as one such addition. Do you have any recommendations on parts to add to the initial build either due to increased quality, or difficulty in adding them at a later time?
    Msmnick, I tend to avoid that question. Not everyone has the same expectations for their printer or print results. Everyone has a different level of fortitude, time and budget they're willing to throw at their 3D printer. I also think it can be beneficial to start with the basics and enhance the printer as experience grows or as issues come up. If you were building the 8-inch, I'd highly suggest doing something different for the lacking Z-endstop switch mount - I'll offer that much. Feel free to PM me or visit with whoever is around on the Makerfarm IRC chat if you want to discuss thoughts on specific mods.

On the Kysans, I can't say that they are a value added benefit on the newer kits. Older kits shipped with a different motor that didn't really fit the 12V printer application very well, with an issue that they ran extremely hot. That's the main reason why mine were replaced. Newer kits ship with more appropriate motors that don't run hot.
    Last edited by printbus; 02-02-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Student
    Well, that's info worth knowing. Thank you. I didn't know they changed the motor offering, though one can see why if they were having heat issues. I'll find out if the Z-endstop is built similar to yours on the model I select. Noted the addition of a screw adjustable endstop as a mentioned solution, seems like an easy way to avoid that hassle. I will look at the kysans again with what comes with my model and likely scratch them off the list. Like most people here, I have some fabrication/mechanics/electronics/engineering background, I was an electronics tech in the Navy, go to school for Mechanical Engineering, and work as a mechanic. The 3d print/cad stuff is a hobby currently, so budget is mediocre. I was considering a few nice models 2-3x the cost of this, fully assembled/fully enclosed, but the experience of these models has me intrigued, and I don't see the others offering better specs, better support, more/cheaper filament, etc.

I'm in the Moorhead area, I venture out the the Twin cities from time to time. Currently traveling south to avoid February in Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Msmnick View Post
    Well, that's info worth knowing. Thank you. I didn't know they changed the motor offering, though one can see why if they were having heat issues. I'll find out if the Z-endstop is built similar to yours on the model I select. Noted the addition of a screw adjustable endstop as a mentioned solution, seems like an easy way to avoid that hassle. I will look at the kysans again with what comes with my model and likely scratch them off the list. Like most people here, I have some fabrication/mechanics/electronics/engineering background, I was an electronics tech in the Navy, go to school for Mechanical Engineering, and work as a mechanic. The 3d print/cad stuff is a hobby currently, so budget is mediocre. I was considering a few nice models 2-3x the cost of this, fully assembled/fully enclosed, but the experience of these models has me intrigued, and I don't see the others offering better specs, better support, more/cheaper filament, etc.
    With a budget constraint, I'd definitely hold off on the Kysans. The concern on the Z endstop bracket should only be on the 8-inch kits. MakerFarm migrated to an improved Z-endstop bracket that uses a screw adjustment for the 12-inch printers, and I've heard they're now shipping the 10-inch printer with that improved bracket as well.

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    I'm working on a modification for the VSlot version but don't own that printer. I need to know a measurement and if one of you get a chance I'd like to know the head diameter of the 1) round head hex on the left. And 2) the diameter of the hex nut (the long dimension, not the short one) and the diameter of the flat washer. Also, I'd like to know how far each sticks out off of the surface.

Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Quote Originally Posted by RobH2 View Post
    I'm working on a modification for the VSlot version but don't own that printer. I need to know a measurement and if one of you get a chance I'd like to know the head diameter of the 1) round head hex on the left. And 2) the diameter of the hex nut (the long dimension, not the short one) and the diameter of the flat washer. Also, I'd like to know how far each sticks out off of the surface.
    Dimensions for standard M5 hardware would apply. The round hex head are called button head; the nut is a nylon locknut. The washer is a fender washer that I added on my own. I would recommend looking up specifications for M5 hardware, but I measure as follows (based on sample of one piece only):

Button head: 9.23mm diameter, 2.75mm head height
    Nyloc nut: 7.88mm flat-to-flat, 8.75mm diagonal point-to-point, 4.78mm height
    Fender washer: 14.72mm diameter, 1.09mm thickness

McMaster provides 2d and 3d drawings of almost all there fasteners.
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#94500a231/=vrolwa

Add RobH2 on Thingiverse
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Yes, McMaster is good for that but if you don't know what size they are to start with those tables don't help much. I was going to try to interpolate the sizes because I know how thick the wood is. But, I thought it might be faster to ask one of you guys and see if anyone minded measuring for me. Thanks a lot for the fast measurements. Exactly what I need...
    Bambu P1S/AMS
    NVision4D http://nvision4d.com

Hey I just wanted to mention the i3v printers are being shipped with updated micro adjustable z endstops now. The build guides have been updated as well to reflect it.

Quote Originally Posted by aaaa View Post
    Hey I just wanted to mention the i3v printers are being shipped with updated micro adjustable z endstops now. The build guides have been updated as well to reflect it.
    That's good news. The 8-inch printer must have been the last to get the update. There's at least one person who built his i3v-8 within the last couple of weeks and it still had the original style.

Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    That's good news. The 8-inch printer must have been the last to get the update. There's at least one person who built his i3v-8 within the last couple of weeks and it still had the original style.
    My 8" was shipped in late November early December and it had the updated endstop/X-idler. My frame doesn't have all the fancy writing on it though. Would have been great of Colin to update the build guide before I sliced my Z-endstop bracket!!!! Oh well.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast