Close

did i get wrong filament?

i bought a batch of cheap PLA filament from china, so far i used the green, red, blue and black colors just fine. but when i came to the white color it just won't stick to the bed. Me finding this weird, decided to try doing a hot switch in the middle of a print, changing out the PLA midprint to see if it was just sticking to the glass that was the problem for the white color,But alas, that was not the cas,e it refused to stick to the black PLA (what a racist white PLA) and would just loosen off. My question then, did they maybe send me the wrong type of filament`? Maybe what they claim is white PLA might be something else? maybe ABS? how can i check?Considering just throwing the whole 1kg roll of filament in the trash.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...824_165126.jpg white filament not sticking to itself.https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...824_165154.jpg black filament, sticking so well to the glass it even gets a shiny smooth surface.

Solution found.

Supplier have sendt me ABS instead of the PLA i ordered. they even marked the roll with a PLA sticker.

How I found out? I filled a paper cup with aceton, stuffed a piece of what i knew was PLA and with a piece i knew was ABS into the cup, along with a piece of the roll i suspected was ABS.

i let the pieces bathe for about 30 seconds in the aceton, then pulled them out. The PLA piece would not stick to my finger at all. while the known abs one would stick to my finger, and so did the suspected roll.

So anyone else who starts suspect if you got the wrong type from the supplier, you can use Aceton.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bend test works too. abs has white stress lines when flexed. Pla doesn't.

didn't try that, but i guess it maybe would be more difficult to see white stress on white filament?
    Last edited by pnodi; 08-30-2018 at 03:55 AM.