Close

Having problems with my PLA

I am having problems with my PLA. I have had this printer for a while (my first one). I thought I could figure things out on my own. I have been humbled. Lol. I have tried for months, I have printed a few things. But I am having issues. Monoprice Maker Select 3D Printer v2PLA Filament also from MonopriceExtruder Temp: 200Bed Temp: 55In my several attempts at a successful print. I have removed the surface that came with the printer to the bare aluminum. I used blue painters tape with purple disappearing glue. I aligned the Z-carriage and leveled the bed with a feeler gauge measuring .0101MM. I printed a bed level calibration. I can't tell what it is telling me. Is my speed too fast? Is my temp too high? I can't seem to get it.I humbly ask for help. When I get good enough to help, I will.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bobbiebryant; 08-20-2018 at 12:39 AM.

is the PLA balling up under the extruder? or does it just leave incomplete print baseline?

if it is balling up, like mine did. i couldn't see any other reason than it is the filament itself. i bought 11 rolls from one company. the fluo green and flue red colors and solid black worked just fine. But when i used the white one. it just wouldn't stick to the bed at all! and i had used up all the white i gotten in the beginning with the printer. so if i am to use the "bad" white pla that won't stick on the bed. i can only assume i have to weld it onto some filament that can stick on the bed. gonna try that later (not today) when i got time

when i tried printing on my glass bed with the white filament, it would get alittle stuck then it loosened again.

I'll Try the print again tonight and pay close attention to see if it's balling up. I'm going to adjust my print speed slower and see what happens. Thanks.

I am having a very similar problem with the same printer. Looking forward to see if you find a resolution.

I got a pretty good print using the surface that came on the bed with the printer. I used a glue stick on the bed then dabbed it with a dry sponge. My initial layer print speed is 15mm per second. My bottom and top layer speed is 15mm per second as well. Initial Print Temperature of 205C with a bed Temp of 100C. It printed fine but the bottom layer is messy and I am still concerned with fixing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those lines on the bottom i find quite weird, tho then again i am a rookie to this. Almost looks like some of the initial print lines are getting ripped out. but i guess you would seen that happening and included that in previous posts. No clue what it could be. just to be on the safe side, check the first layer on your slicer program, look at first layer if it has any gaps in it's printing plan. i doubt that is the case tho

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiebryant View Post
    I aligned the Z-carriage and leveled the bed with a feeler gauge measuring .0101MM.
    This seems like you feeler gauge 0.0101mm is too close. (I use my pay stub receipt, this measures 0.15mm though my print layers are .015 - 0.30mm)

It appears you have an adhesion problem. Have tired many different bed materials but have always returned to the Paper Tape method.

Using a Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape this is similar to the Blue painters tape although it is so smooth sometimes need to rough up surface by sanding.

Now here are problems that can cause the filament not to adhere to the surface.
    One: Nozzle Height. (you can adjust the nozzle height using Z-Offset) or (Having an adjustable Z-End Stop / adjustable Proximity Sensor mount)
    Two: Fast Print speed. (start the first layer at 32% or about 3.6mm^3 per sec) (After the first layer using "change at Z" return to normal print speed)
    Three: Incorrect Bed temperature (not so much for PLA though other filament warp with incorrect bed temp)

Below is a toy truck printed on Pressure Sensitive Carpet Glue on Paper Tape On the Aluminum Bed.
    Could not get to print on anything was about to give up. Now I can print on anything just prefer the Paper Tape with PLA.

Toy Truck No/Supports
    https://youtu.be/QhWuMxtKV6M

Will Vinyl Transfer Paper Tape release my Print
    https://youtu.be/Y5ut1OtMSp0

Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 08-23-2018 at 04:28 PM.