Close

Technician

Tried my first print today

Well after way too many hours working through settings etc I had a crack at printing a file.

Hmm well it did two layers and printed a perfect bit of fly wire before it just stopped.

No idea what went on other than maybe as was hooked up to PC and it goes to sleep after 15 mins, that may have been its problem ?

Have now transferred the file to SD card and am trying the same print again, lets see if it prints for longer than 17 mins this time.

No doubt have an endless amount to learn regarding temps, feed speed etc etc but all trial and error I guess.

Steve

Engineer
    steve, always try and print from the sd card. its the best way really. there is alot to know for sure. it will take you quite a while to get everything all tuned and ready to go. you got a leapfrog right? did it come with a license for simplify3d? that is the slicer i use and i believe they partnered up with leapfrog recently.

Technician
    Got Creator X, didn't come with any simplify, came with python something or other that said it didn't load properly..but its actually working.
    At this point my attempt from SD card is actually looking like the file You and Mark worked on for me.
    I based the temps and feed rate settings on a combination of what I researched online and what others had mentioned, will hopefully get a full list off Geoff at some stage as he has similar printer.

Engineer
    ahhh flash forge creator not the leapfrog creator lol. so many printers have that name lately.

Technician
    And the learning curve begins,
    Yesterday my prints all turned out fine, today with cooler weather and the fact that as soon as heat bed hit temp, I hit print and my print lifted.

Note to self , take into account weather and be more patient.

Engineer
    First layer plays a big part on adhesion. Be sure your z stop and or first layer height is calibrated properly. Ultimately your looking for 100% bed contact but you dont want to put out too much material or be too close to the bed because youll be dragging the nozzle through the plastic.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    And the learning curve begins,
    Yesterday my prints all turned out fine, today with cooler weather and the fact that as soon as heat bed hit temp, I hit print and my print lifted.

Note to self , take into account weather and be more patient.
    Also it doesn't hurt to cover the sides of the machine, I literally use two pieces of cardboard on the outer windows to block air blowing in from any windows, as you generally have something open to vent the room (or should )

Technician
    Learning a lot,

Had extruders too close to bed today and unused extruder kept dragging on the print in places, when did a bed level the sheet of paper was dragging on nozzles so just that fraction out..oop`s.

Don't know anything about " Z " stop yet, must have overlooked that one, or doing it without being aware of it.
    Unfortunately work will be tying me up for the next few days so no time for printing, bummer.
    Thanks again to everyone for their help with all my queries etc.

Steve

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by lycan View Post
    Learning a lot,

Had extruders too close to bed today and unused extruder kept dragging on the print in places, when did a bed level the sheet of paper was dragging on nozzles so just that fraction out..oop`s.

Don't know anything about " Z " stop yet, must have overlooked that one, or doing it without being aware of it.
    Unfortunately work will be tying me up for the next few days so no time for printing, bummer.
    Thanks again to everyone for their help with all my queries etc.

Steve
    Z stop isnt something you worry about with the flashforge, the machine is a fixed Z stop and you make the bed adjust to that level. There is software to then adjust it more but I have never ever needed to.

If my prints were not working, it was and always seems to be down to the bed being a touch off.. and my bed also had warped a little over time.