Close

Your Dream 3D Printer Setup

Thought I'd pose this question to you guys. If you had an unlimited amount of money and a full 2 car garage, what would your perfect 3D printing setup include? Would you opt for consumer based printers and fill the garage with a bunch of different printers or get a few of the industrial level printers?

Staff Engineer
    There's a lot to be said for SLS printers, if you can afford them. The powder bed provides support, so you don't have to worry about adding it or removing it later. Detail is good, and any configuration is possible. Plus, the models are stronger across the grain than FDM parts, because the layers adhere to each other better.

The multimaterial Objet printers are pretty nice as well; you can make things that are partly rigid and partly rubbery.

But it really depends on what you're trying to produce with these printers - what would that be?

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

Staff Engineer
    I would get an Objet 500 Connex 3 for small scale, one custom hybrid additive/subtractive setup similar to the ORNL machine that is being used by Local Motors for large scale, and one concrete printer for very large scale. (how big are the hypothetical two cars this garage can fit? )

EDIT: Also a Chef Jet in the kitchen, because that thing looks like a blast at parties.
    Last edited by Feign; 05-14-2014 at 03:21 PM.

I'd probably get an FDM printer, an SLA printer, and then a few large 3D Systems industrial printers - you know the $500,000 ones

I'd open a shop and sell 3D printed merchandise.

LOL, I'd make a huge lineup of FFF printers and try an print out large scaled items that fit together. I'd probably start some massive robohand factory in there, and hook up with some organizations that donate them to children.