Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie looking at printers!

Hey guys! Totally new to the 3d printing world and looking to buy one to get started. So far I'm looking at the anet a8, but not exactly sure I should go that direction. I'm very mechanically inclined, and a journeyman electrician so not worried about technical difficulty or user friendliness. I'm looking for the best value, even if that means buying and upgrading. Print quality and variety of materials is most important to me, with speed being a close second. Any input woyld be appreciated. Thanks!

Speed = bad quality
    Being technically inclined is helpful but there is a steep learning curve with the software and process.
    My suggestions is to look at reviews of printer from 2016 2017 and 2018. They are all out there as nothing every leaves the internet.
    Look for the printer that fits you budget and is always in the top 3-5 of it's category.
    You want something that is dependable and accurate as there are sooo many variables to a good print you want to eliminated poor quality hardware and design.
    No idea what a Anet a8 is so not saying that is bad, just giving you the advice I used to purchase and am very happy with the machine and manufactures support.
    Good luck with your new hobby!

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Pros: Solid Aluminum Frame, Uses different kinds of filament.

Cons: Frame material that will warp or break under stress, Uses limited kinds of filament.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 08-13-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    speed doesn't necessarily = bad quality.

Different printer designs will cope better at different speeds.
    I've recently had some pretty good prints from my he3d k200 delta at 200mm/s.
    The fastest I run my makerbot clones is about 65mm/s

However speed is dependant on a lot of different things. But generally speaking deltas can and do print faster than the other types of 3d printers.

Had my regular look at ebay last night.
    a delta lit with heated bed and supposedly 'intelligent' autolevelling can now be had for ?125 !
    And a basic i3 clone kit - also with heated bed - for ?88.
    Both shipped from the uk (no import tax) and with free postage !

If had a larger workshop I'd probably get one of the i3's to play with.
    Currently I have nowhere for it to live - but damn !
    In another couple of years they will be giving these things away with cornflakes.

so pretty much the only thing currently important for buying a 3d printer is your budget.
    The ?88 i3s are NOT equal to something like a mk3 genuine prusa i3.
    Or a creality cr10 kit which is around the ?250 mark.

It's not strictly accurate to say you get what you pay for - ultimakers, for example, are massively overpriced.
    But a better budget will = a better printer.

Plus given how many differenmt makes and modelas and types of machine there are - knowing your budget means we don't spend time on machines you can't afford. :-)

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    I say pick a frame you like without paying too much attention to anything else on the machine. Because if you are handy and plan on upgrades you will change some or most parts but the frame is the constant that you will always be with. The bed, the extruder, the steppers, the controller, the power supply, the belts and everything else are merely parts that we upgrade. So whatever you do don't go picking your machine because you like how big the power supply is, or because you really think that is a trick extruder. You should be focused on bed size/ build envelope and frame rigidity. All other considerations are secondary to these things. That is, for the avid diy'er

lol as far as 'avid diyers' go You're in a class of your own autowhiz :-)

The vast majority of people probably don't want to do a complete rebuild on a first printer.

Staff Engineer
    Add AutoWiz on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    lol as far as 'avid diyers' go You're in a class of your own autowhiz :-)

The vast majority of people probably don't want to do a complete rebuild on a first printer.
    Just replying to the op's original post "
    So far I'm looking at the anet a8, but not exactly sure I should go that direction. I'm very mechanically inclined, and a journeyman electrician so not worried about technical difficulty or user friendliness. I'm looking for the best value, even if that means buying and upgrading."

I've heard good things about the Creality printers (Ender 3 and CR-10). I just purchased the Ender 3, but haven't used it yet.

the ?80 printers I'm looking at are actually an a8 but with a solid aluminium frame.
    Looked at other sub-?100 machines and the a8 bed has the most solid looking sliding and mounting setup. Also some of them have abowden setup - on an i3 ? why ?
    ALso the a8 has twin z screws whereas most of the others have just the one on the left side.

Certainly looks like good base to do stuff wth :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-05-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1337llama View Post
    I've heard good things about the Creality printers (Ender 3 and CR-10). I just purchased the Ender 3, but haven't used it yet.
    I just bought one too but my screen is broken and i cannot connect to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast