Close

Student

Musical Instruments

Hello, all.

I'm completely new to this, and I'm exploring the viability of making a good copy of my old (1800s) clarinet via 3d printing. I cannot find much information about the limitations or viability of this medium for this. I've got a million questions, and with no experience I am lost. The fact that I can't find information about legitimate 3d printed musical instruments has me a bit skeptical of its viability.

Is there anybody who can advise about material type, durability, layer separation, warpage etc for such a project? Can 3d printing handle 7+mm thick walls in a detailed cylinder 210 mm long? Is it best to print vertically, horizontally, angled, or other, and why? What about moisture exposure from playing? What about density and weight, and stability over time? What about the keywork - stiffness, strength, ability to adhere pads to seal the toneholes? What type/brand of printer is needed, resolution, print time etc? Can hobby machines handle such a print? I really want this to feel like a good solid instrument and not like a toy.

If anybody needs a reference, I have a rough model of half the body, minus the toneholes and fine detail.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/bb...2aad1fd2c5d83f

Any advice about the general viability and/or practicality of printing such a thing would be welcome.

Thanks!

-Aaron

Um.. what is a clarinet made out of. plastic? If not, then it is going to feel like a plastic clarinet..
    Do a search for 3d Filament types and read about them. Any 3d printer with a build volume greater than your model can print it.. but it is going to be made of plastic.

Student
    I have read everything I could find on filament types and 3d printing over the last two weeks. The problem is that the vast majority of information covers the actual printing process. Further, most of the information is focused on making small/light parts, mainly decorations. There is a huge dearth of information regarding objects that are actually useful and see daily use, and just as little information about the printing and longevity of larger, heavy, thicker items like mine.