Close

Odd issue I haven't seen before

I have a unique issue that started recently that I haven't had before and the resolution eludes me so far.

For the sake of this issue, let's say I'm printing a rectangle that is 2 inches by 5 inches and 1/8 inch thick.

Here's a photo of the results.....

The area that's smudged on the part has a corresponding place on the print bed where there's material smeared and stuck to the print bed.
    When I pull the part off the print bed, the material that should stay on the part seems to be smeared onto the print bed instead.
    It almost looks like the print head is dipping down into the print randomly for some reason and smearing the layers below.
    The belts are all tight, the motors secure, nothing I can find is loose, the print bed is leveled.
    There are no bubbles or raised points on the print bed. It's glass with kapton tape overlay.

Here's one of the smears on the print bed....

Any ideas?

Thanks

I guess this one has everyone stumped
    Not to worry, I've never seen it either. VERY unusual

That some filament would rather cling to the print bed rather than be firmly attached to the rest of the extruded material is quite odd.

If there were contaminants in the filament that might account for it.
    Last edited by Ward; 07-12-2018 at 05:36 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    looks like your nozzle might be a little too close to the print bed.
    No print bed is absolutely perfectly level. So if you have the print head too close to the bed on the first layer, that can happen.
    Raise the head 0.1mm for the first layer and see if that makes any difference.

Also have a little patience :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    looks like your nozzle might be a little too close to the print bed.
    No print bed is absolutely perfectly level. So if you have the print head too close to the bed on the first layer, that can happen.
    Raise the head 0.1mm for the first layer and see if that makes any difference.

Also have a little patience :-)
    I've tried that with no results, but thanks just the same.

I've increased the bed to nozzle to the point it wouldn't adhere to the bed anymore.
    Seems to be something else going on here. I have this posted on other forums and so far noone has seen it or knows what causes it.

Beginning to suspect it may be contaminants in the filament...or even on the filament.