Close

one time only direct Printing of a Trooper Bunny for $15 (testing a new company) make

I'm posting this to see if this works.. Pretty much for 15 dollars you can 3d print one of my 3d files (trooper Bunny) only once. Which is great for artists who are afraid to lose their files to torrenting sites and stuff.
    The problem is that it only works with makerbots and reprap printers.. I have an UP mini(sucks balls dont buy it) and they don't support this printer just yet..
    I lowered my file price for beta testers so this will be a good deal..
    http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mod.../trooper-bunny
    (Please don't direct buy any other files since i have not optimize them just yet)
    if this works as advertised i think it will revolutionize 3d printing.. I'm still iffy about it's security so if you are able to print this file more than once.. or even worse get a hold of my source files.. please let me know.. this would defeat the purpose of 1 time printing. (i'm not affiliated with this company at all.. i cant help you if something goes wrong.. so far they showed great costumer service so please contact them here if you have any problems http://authentise.com/)

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by mstyle183 View Post
    I'm posting this to see if this works.. Pretty much for 15 dollars you can 3d print one of my 3d files (trooper Bunny) only once. Which is great for artists who are afraid to lose their files to torrenting sites and stuff.
    The problem is that it only works with makerbots and reprap printers.. I have an UP mini(sucks balls dont buy it) and they don't support this printer just yet..
    I lowered my file price for beta testers so this will be a good deal..
    http://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-mod.../trooper-bunny
    (Please don't direct buy any other files since i have not optimize them just yet)
    if this works as advertised i think it will revolutionize 3d printing.. I'm still iffy about it's security so if you are able to print this file more than once.. or even worse get a hold of my source files.. please let me know.. this would defeat the purpose of 1 time printing. (i'm not affiliated with this company at all.. i cant help you if something goes wrong.. so far they showed great costumer service so please contact them here if you have any problems http://authentise.com/)

I think the idea is more than a complete failure to be honest, considering the amount of print failures ALL machines can be capable of, the ability to stream the file once to the machine is just idiotic. They better have pretty good stream monitoring in effect if they are going to be detecting the printing state of peoples printers while they are printing it out - otherwise how would they ever know if the print was successful?

Was the print unsuccessful because of the printer? or the STL? or the streaming process failed?

How do you stream a file to a printer and then disconnect from the streaming service and let the printer take over while there is no background service to keep it going? there isn't... not with the current machines, and the SD card doesn't work like that in most machines, it reads, it doesn't write - so there goes putting it on the SD temporarily to send to the printer.

I could go on for hours honestly, the whole thing is flawed beyond belief - and the fact CG trader is charging $144 for a plastic 5" figure of a licensed product like a Storm Trooper (and many other licensed products) is pretty lame considering the actual amount of plastic involved, which would be probably worth about $2-3 if you printed it at 10%infill.
    Last edited by Geoff; 05-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    I think the idea is more than a complete failure to be honest, considering the amount of print failures ALL machines can be capable of, the ability to stream the file once to the machine is just idiotic. They better have pretty good stream monitoring in effect if they are going to be detecting the printing state of peoples printers while they are printing it out - otherwise how would they ever know if the print was successful?

Was the print unsuccessful because of the printer? or the STL? or the streaming process failed?

Agreed... There are way too many variables to think the first time you started a print, it was going to work. And on something like this, I suspect I would have to play with different support material settings until I found one that was compatible with the design, printer, and plastic.

And looking at it from a different perspective... You are dealing with the Open_Source communities when you play with 3D-Printers. If this business really did get going, you would have reverse .STL compilers showing up very quickly that would capture the stream and save it as a normal .STL file. My guess is the reverse .STL compilers would be prevalent within 2 months.

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    Agreed... There are way too many variables to think the first time you started a print, it was going to work. And on something like this, I suspect I would have to play with different support material settings until I found one that was compatible with the design, printer, and plastic.

And looking at it from a different perspective... You are dealing with the Open_Source communities when you play with 3D-Printers. If this business really did get going, you would have reverse .STL compilers showing up very quickly that would capture the stream and save it as a normal .STL file. My guess is the reverse .STL compilers would be prevalent within 2 months.
    Yep, I would give it less than 2 months even, the way these hackers are with games and such, they literally have the cracks out the day after release, so I'm sure once you introduce a type of regime there will be someone who wants to break it down, and in the case of programming, there is always a smarter cookie out there
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com