Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Engineer-in-Training

Best way of cleaning nozzles?

Is there best way of cleaning partly-clogged nozzles? I have PowerSpec 3D Pro (Flashforge Creator clone) with Swiss Micro all-metal hotheads. Can heating cartridges and thermocouplers go bad? If I need new parts, how can I order correct ones? I don't have a thermometer with touch probes.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    best way to clean an old or clogged nozzle is to unscrew it, throw it away and fit a new nozzle.
    Standard brass nozzles are available for a couple quid/dollars for packs of 5.

That's what i do anyway :-)

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Here are my suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmorris View Post
    I have PowerSpec 3D Pro (Flashforge Creator clone) with Swiss Micro all-metal hotheads.
    Search web or E-Bay for "PowerSpec 3D Pro replacement parts" you can visually compare to see obviously mismatched parts.

Can heating cartridges and thermocouplers go bad?
    Yes all consumables can go bad.

I don't have a thermometer with touch probes.
    I purchased the ADM02 AutoRange Digital Multimeter from E-Bay work great, for testing temperature of hot-end and bed. It can measure voltage, current, resistance, diodes, transistors and continuity. This is a great bargain for a low cost.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ADM02&_sacat=0

Get some eSun cleaning filament and use it on a regular basis. For clogs, remove nozzle and cook out the clog wit a micro torch. Make sure you have several spare nozzles on hand at all times.. Torching can be done while the new nozzle is printing!

Engineer-in-Training
    I thought that eSun cleaning filament worked but I couldn't load PLA filament into the extruders. I replaced one of the nozzles with a new one and removed another nozzle from a second extruder. I thought that I finally 3D-printed a part for a model of a manual transmission but the part failed about 2/3 of the way up. The company that makes Flashforge printers has spare parts that I need.

Technologist
    I use cold pull method to clean nozzles. I actually try to do it every time when changing filament to make sure the new filament prints fine. With PLA it works quite good, but with PETG and ABS not that good, the tip doesn't come out fully. Nylon is also a relatively good cold pull filament, but I rarely print with it.
    http://bukobot.com/nozzle-cleaning

Engineer-in-Training
    I tried the cold pull but the filament was stuck. I heated the extruder to 230C and pulled the filament out. The end of the filament was thicker than the rest of it. Should I pull the filament out after printing something and I think I don't use the printer for a while?

Yes, you should remove the filament and place the spool in a ziplock bad with silicone descant. I just cut the filament the drive and the when it is time to print again, heat, retract the short piece that is in there and load the spool

Technologist
    I tried the cold pull but the filament was stuck. I heated the extruder to 230C and pulled the filament out. The end of the filament was thicker than the rest of it. Should I pull the filament out after printing something and I think I don't use the printer for a while?
    Did you heat the nozzle? If the nozzle is cold, the filament won't budge. How I do cold pull: with the nozzle at room temp, set the the nozzle to heat up, I usually just set PLA target temp. After the nozzle has heated up to ~80C, start pullin the filament out of the nozzle, it'll need some force to come out so make sure you have good grip. After the filament releases, it should have a uniform tip (like the inside of the nozzle). If not, the tip of the filament is still inside of the nozzle and cold pull failed.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    The end of the filament was thicker than the rest of it.
    Normally when the Filament is thicker after pulling it. It is because there is a gap between the Nozzle and throat cold-end. This gap allows the filament to pool causing the clog. Or in my case the PTFE tube has became deformed allow a area for the filament to pool causing a clog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast