Close

STL File Problems (solidworks/openscad)

I'm currently printing out a modified version of i3 plastic parts for a modified variant of the Prusa Mendel i3. The original STL files I used were obtained from the i3 rework wiki page in the Thingiverse link. Because I've had plenty of experience using Solidworks (have the educational version), I used it to modify the parts. However, importing it as a solid body to the program scaled the model up so part was metres long instead of millimetres long. After modifying it, I exported the part files as STL files and imported them back into Solidworks again as a part file. I had to do this because scaling them down produced errors and some faces disappeared or lines sprawled over the part. I then scaled them down and exported them again as STL files.

When the files were sent off to be 3D printed by another person, they said that the files were either locked or not in a standard .stl format. And also the components were oriented wrong and were trying to print in 'thin air'. I opened them using OpenSCAD and turns out the program opened the files, but could not display it.

The main issue here is trying to get these files to be print ready. Are there any tips that anyone can offer?

I've attached 2 files: Z-AXIS-TOP-RIGHT-V2 is the original STL file, and Z Axis Top Right is the same part modified in Solidworks and oriented properly. Using OpenSCAD, the 1st file opens and displays without fault but the 2nd file opens but does not display.

Thanks in advance!

John

Z Axis Top Right.STL
    Z-AXIS-TOP-RIGHT-V2.stl
    Last edited by wingshafts; 05-12-2014 at 01:50 AM.

I got V2 to open in Rhino 5, laying on the XY axis. I ran it through Slic3r and it coded it OK. If I used that Gcode, it would print on the bed OK.

Old Man Emu

V2 opens in NetFabb fine, which is my go-to program for cleaning up STL files and scaling them. I wouldn't necessarily rely on OpenSCAD for viewing STL files. You can use NetFabb basic (free) for basic repair of STL files, as well as scaling, orienting them and homing them to the base.

As a separate topic: If I was printing this for me, the orientation of the V2 version is going to be stronger. You won't be counting on the fused layers to hold the force to position the Z-Rail.

V2 is the original STL file I got from Thingiverse and opens fine/gets sliced without problems. Z Top Axis was the problematic one and was solved by redoing the whole component, making sure that there were no scaling or geometric errors. It ended up opening fine in OpenSCAD.

With the orientation issue, it seems as if Solidworks' front plane is used as OpenSCAD's ground plane which I find odd. I just rotated the part properly using OpenSCAD's graphic window as a guide.

Thanks for the help guys!