Close

Thread: Design rotting?

Student

Design rotting?

Hello there, First time posting here. Having some issues with a print. I'm trying to print a model of the Enterprise. The thingiverse link is below. and i'm printing at 200% scale of the original file. I'm using a Flash Forge Finder Printer. 6x6x6 in print area. After i printed the object. About half way up the model it just seemed to dissolve. It looked solid however as i was trying to get it off the board if feels like the PLA dry rotted. its wierd because after that section, the top of the object is solid with no structure problems. The imgur Link below shows the result. any ideas?

Machine/print specs
    Flashforge Finder
    6x6x6 in print area
    PLA @ 215 celcius
    10% infill
    triangle infil support
    print speed 50mm/s
    layer height: .12mm

https://imgur.com/a/rvAAPkS
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8100

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well pla temp is a little hot for such a low print speed.
    200c is better for 50mm/s

But it looks like a period of underextrusion.
    Could have been a thinner section of the filament, partial clog that cleared itself, dodgy slicing (less likely).
    Feeding issues, tight filament reels can cause this.
    If you had adelta then it could also have been bowden tube configuration. But you're not, so ignore that bit :-)

Basically I'd say it's a filament issue. try a different brand or colour.
    If you get the same problem in the same area with different filament, then we can start to look at other possibilities.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    The thingiverse link is below. and i'm printing at 200% scale of the original file.

After i printed the object. About half way up the model it just seemed to dissolve.
    It looked solid however as i was trying to get it off the board if feels like the PLA dry rotted.

Looking at the model it is a Thin Shell. I would change a few things.
    With the temperature you are printing at. It appears the part does not sufficiently cool.

parts cooling fan 50%
    Print Temp 202C
    Bed Temp 42-50C
    30% infill

that doesn't explain, in any way, why it prints fine above and below the dodgy area.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    1. It appears as the Filament on the spool got tangled as the print progressed, At the top it appear that the extruder was having a hard time pulling filament.
    2. It could be that the top of the model is under-extruded because over heating the filament could have caused a clogged hot-end.
    3. The filament adsorbed moisture causing under-extrusion
    4. I have seen times that a filament seem (Splice) caused the clogged hot-end.

Personally I would think that number one is the correct answer, as have had this happen many times and when I looked the filament had untangled itself.

And I am looking at the bottom image where the start of the print looks kind of ok, and progressively gets under-extruded.
    Last edited by Roberts_Clif; 06-15-2018 at 07:29 AM.

yep, one way or another it's likely filament related.