Close

Hybrid View

Engineer-in-Training

Tough PLA and similar filaments?

MakerBot has Tough PLA but you also have to buy an extruder. I think that Polymaker PolyMAX filament is similar to Tough PLA. Any suggestions for filaments for working models that have gears, etc.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    ninjatek armadillo.
    expensive but ridiculously tough. Also prints exactly same as pla - I know this because I made the mistake printing somthing with my armadillo sample, thinking it was the end of a roll of pla.
    Worked fine :-) waste of armadillo, but printed great.

also innofill pro 1 - another premium pla based material I believe - though last time I looked innofill weren't saying exactly what it was made of. Prints great though.

pet-g is probably pretty goof for gears too.

Ultimaker Tough PLA is a technical PLA (polylactic acid) material with toughness similar to ABS. Ideal for reliably printing functional prototypes and tooling at larger sizes, our Tough PLA offers the same safe and easy use as regular PLA. Also MakerBot Tough filament is designed to overcome common flaws in ABS 3D printing?including warping and curling?so you can print your parts reliably without excessive adjustments or tweaking.