Close

What should I look for in decent hardware?

I'm brand new to 3D printing and I am looking to buy an used printer.. What do I need to look for to make sure the printer is in an operable state.

There is a LOT to this hobby. I had considered a used unit as well.. but opted for a MakerGear M2 new as it was i the top 5 printers for multiple years in a row and made in the US. I am fairly confident that any issues I had during the learning phase was not due to a mechanical issue. Lots of moving parts and things to wear out you may not be able to see just looking at it. Good luck!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pretty much the one thing you want in a used printer, is a total lack of use :-)

Even an old 3d printer will still make things, so people selling used printers tend to fall into two categories.

1) people who have worn out the printer, know it doesn't work properly and would like to off load it.

2) people who thought it would be exactly like the star trek replicators, and because it requires effort and thought - just never used it.

Given how cheap new machines are, I personally, would not buy a used machine.

It's kind of like a rescue dog. You just have no clue what's happend to it in the past, so strange behaviour is expected.

What's your budget ?