Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there is a video you need to watch.
    Guy has a $200 creality ender 3 and is making little game models that once painted look as good as sla - to me anyway.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDW7g3JOqLA&t=450s

Actually check out all his stuff - seesm to just print game related models: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_...N-E1y7w/videos

Very interesting link there! I must say it really puzzled me to see this result being 3 times cheaper than the MK3! Indeed these results look very close to DLP prints. I am wondering though how long it will take in reality to print structures and vehicles given these settings.

lol don't hold your breath - if you want a high quality print, expect it to take time.
    But bear in mind it will still be quicker than post processing resin prints. Not to mention, cleaner and less smelly.

The more resin videos i see, the more I don't want a resin printer lol

There is a cheap option.
    get a budget smartphone, around $100.
    Then get an olo/ono resin printer for $100
    https://www.ono3d.net/homepage-2/

True, cleaning up and post processing on a resin does sound like too much in comparison to an FDM. I am looking into the ender 3 now, possibly as a first step before a MK3. Still puzzled about the performance of the Ender in comparison to more expensive solutions like the MK3.

it's all down to tuning and stability.
    The ender has a very stable frame. Uses 20x40 aluminium extrusion.

bear in mind these are all opensource machines. So everybody knows what everybody else is doing.

Different stepper drivers don't make anywhere near as much difference as people say they do.
    The mk3 has some cool gear, but take away the removeable bed, levelling system and extruder and you've got a fairly basic machine underneath.

Yes all the little tweaks do add up.
    Also bear in mind that josef prusa is a relatively small scale operation compared to the big chinese factories that are curning this stuff out wholesale. Economies of scale :-)

Valid points aardvark!

The extruded aluminium frame does look like an improvement with respect to stability over the MK3.

The 24V power to the heated bed is another important improvement in my book (since i am interested in printing HIPS and not PLA).

The removable steel bed and the auto-leveling are VERY important bits, but i valued even more the software/support quality that comes along with the MK3 vs lets say the Ender, hence my preference towards the MK3. But then again, as i said, at 250eu, i could try the ender as a 1st printer and then move onto a MK3.

software and support are relative non-issues.
    Those you will get 99% from the user community and youtube.

Get simplify3d, best slicer around and the slicer is the most important piece of 3d printing software.
    Not cheap, but worth the money.

Fair points. I watched the video you mentioned above and a few more on the topic (reviews and recommended upgrades). It seems that the ender does get very nice results (but after having dealt with some issues). Again, i really appreciate the results obtained, it's advantages and the great price, but now i come to understand some of the reasons behind the price difference (ihmo), including the ones that you presented earlier on. Still, it is a VERY interesting choice (the Ender) that i will seriously consider as i previously said.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123