Hi all,

First post here, new member and looking forward to contribute and learn.

I have been reading a lot recently about my options for a (my first) 3d printer. I would really appreciate your input/feedback concerning my choices. I got a shortlist of models and specs/needs that i have.

Main task for the printer to be able to provide pro-level prototypes for scale models in a pro-workshop environment. I understand that this might skyrocket the price if combined with build-volume. For this reason, i must say that i do not mind post-processing the parts printed at all as long as the material is sandable etc like polystyrene (HIPS) or resin (i am used at working with HIPS and resin scale models).

So what are my needs in short:

1. reliability-dependability, (i need it as a work tool)
2. quality of prints (50 microns at least). As i said, i could post-process something (to eliminate layers by sanding/priming/using putty)but if i can avoid/limit then thats better...
3. decent volume (although i could get a small DLP and simply assemble a bigger prototype based on smaller parts)
4. locally available (i am in Europe), including parts.
5, Would be ideal to be able to use HIPS (since i am used to styrene) instead of PLA if i opt for an FDM machine.
6. Linux only here, so the slicer should be open-source (cura?) and linux compatible.

Having (hopefully) understood the basics (post processing of resin prints with cleaning/curing, abs/hips needing specific temps/enclosures etc...), and reading a lot of reviews/forums/videos, i made a small shortlist of machines that theoretically should fit the bill.

FDM 1. Prusa i3 Mk3 (ok volume, 50 microns, nice features, kit building will teach me a lot, pre-built one has 2-years warranty...)
FDM 2. Creality CR-10S (or S4) (hearing a lot about this, superb volume, 50 microns quality of print?)
FDM 3. Wanhao Duplicator 6 (promising 20 micron quality to rival the dlp? - 20x20x17.5cm volume, decent but significantly less than the mk3 and cr-10s)

DLP 1. Wanhao Duplicator 7 Plus (looks ideal with respect to print quality. I wont need to post process the parts, but i would need to split my designs in parts having the building volume as my constraint.)

Some comments-closing remarks:

1. I do not mind upgrading a printer (i don't like to spend time troubleshooting though...).
2. I also do not mind kits since i will learn a lot with respect to the mechanics of the machine (as long as it is not problematic that gets me to endless loops of troubleshooting)
3. I understand the benefits of high-quality/cost options such as ultimaker 3, form-2 etc... but i want to start with something less costly (less than 1000euros).
4. I could also consider a combination of 2 printers...like a DLP D7 and a cheaper FDM as long as the total cost does not overshoot 1000eu significantly.

Thank you VERY much for your time and replies and apologies for the lengthy (and possibly tiring) post.

PS. If you think that another machine of similar cost would fit in better please feel free to recommend.