Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    http://slic3r.org/download
    slic3r claims to support dlp - linux versions.
    https://octoprint.org/

probably worth a look.

curious aardvark, many thanks for the much appreciated help once more!!!

I will definitely look into the software first. In the meantime with respect to the FDM choices, i was thinking about a CR-10S (possibly the S4). Would that be a sound choice (requiring post processing, working with HIPS and PLA) or i am better off with an i3 MK3?

I ll get back to the DLP when i ll get more info on software solutions and inform this post accordingly.

if you're getting an i3 - then the prusa i3 mk3 is definitely the best on the market.

Just got a lot more cool features than the cr10 :-)
    Not cheap, but probably worth the money.

can you run a windows emulator under linux ?

yep, apparently you can: https://itsfoss.com/use-windows-applications-linux/

so either wine or a virtual box - if you need any install software, pm me :-)

Virtual boxes are fun. But wine sounds really interesting. Might install ubuntu on something and have a play. Haven't looked at linux for a while.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-18-2018 at 06:26 AM.

Yes supposedly wine helps with windows based software so i will give it a try before getting a D7.

In the meantime i am intrigued by the good reviews of the CR-10S and it's build volume in comparison to the MK3. (and it is 350eu cheaper).

Thank you VERY much again for the wealth of information and help!

you do get what you pay for. whole lot of newer tech and better quality kit in the prusa.
    The cr10 is a decent kit, but nothing like the prusa mk3.

Thing is most 3d printers are pretty good.
    You wnat a bigger print volume: https://tevo3dprinterstore.com/produ...3d-printer-kit
    I'm a huge fan of deltas. faster, quieter, less vibration and at least as good a quality print as the cartesian machines.
    To put into perspective. My he3d k200 £200 kit, can print quality on the slowest setting I use with it, faster than my makerbot clones print at top speed.

Gotcha curious aardvark! Will look into the Mk3 kit and the delta solutions as well!

Many thanks!

Ok, took some time checking out printers, softwares etc.... i decided not going the resin/dlp route for the time being.

Instead i am focusing on the Prusa i3 Mk3 and the CR-10S.

I am leaning towards the Mk3 despite being 30% to 40% more expensive than the CR10S (in kit form). It looks more linux-friendly and more refined (Slic3r PE and PrusaControl do look VERY nice instead of trying to figure out/refine profiles in Cura for the CR-10S). Am i right in thinking that it will provide better quality prints and being more reliable down the road?

As a reminder, i plan to be printing in HIPS almost exclusively, and i am a bit worried if the CR-10S will be able to match the Prusa. I read that the 12V heat-bed and the hot-end/extruder on the CR-10s do make it less easy to print ABS/HIPS.

Looking forward to your feedback

Engineer-in-Training
    For printing models, you should consider a resin printer: Anycubic Photon is becoming very popular with model makers. I have one and love it.

FDM is okay for large models where up close detail isn't as necessary. Personally having a FDM with a large build plate AND a resin printer gives you both options to mix and match based upon your needs.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 3d_Rail View Post
    As a reminder, i plan to be printing in HIPS almost exclusively, and i am a bit worried if the CR-10S will be able to match the Prusa. I read that the 12V heat-bed and the hot-end/extruder on the CR-10s do make it less easy to print ABS/HIPS.
    Looking forward to your feedback
    FYI: For about $70 you can upgrade a creality to a 120v heated bed. I have the Creality S4 (16" bed) and it heats to 110c in about 2 minutes.

Thank you very much for the reply!

I recently saw some photos of FDM printed details on a MK3 and it looked very promising on geometric shapes. For other uses for sure the DLP/SLA looks better, the Photon does look very good and their slicer supposedly works in linux (under Wine or similar).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast