Close

Student

Unhappy 3D Printer Stopped - How to continue

Hey everyone,

I am pretty new to the forum, so I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong folder / forum.

I am working with Xinkebot Orca2 Cygnus. I started printing a part that takes about 29h to complete. I left it over night and when I came back to it tomorrow it has just stopped printing. It is still turned on, but it looks like it just stopped printing. And usually there is stop and pause button so that I can continue printing. But it seems now like it just stopped printing. Does anyone know how to continue ?

Maybe manually try to edit G code to continue where it left of ?

Thank you.

Milos

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    what slicer are you using ?

looking at it, appears to be a formbot t-rex clone.

Your best bet is to power off, power back on and hope you get an option to 'resume after power cut. '

Student
    Hi Aardvark,

Thanks for responding. I was using Ultimaker Cura (older version of cura) for slicing. And unfortunately, powering off didn't help resume the position. I think I will have to try to manually adjust it somehow

well you can meacure the print and then use that as start height for the model. You'll never get it perfect, but if you use digital calipers you should be pretty close.

You weren't running the print from the computer via usb cable were you ?
    For long prints always use the sdcard.

Student
    Yeah, I used SD card. I really have no idea what could have happened.
    I used digital calipers to continue, but the issue I faced was positioning the model in the slicer. Because when I put the model in cura to create g code, I had to cut off my model to the correct height, but the slicer always puts it at the bottom of the bed. So in order to make the model "hang in the air" I had to create a small part in the corner to print to correct height and then continue with the model at the correct height. But when I input that model into cura with that small part, the model is not positioned at the same place as before. So I had to wing it. How would you do it ?AND THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING

Well first I'd recommend you get simplify3d.

That lets you either drop the model below the bed and start at the level of the bed. Or you can simply tell it how high up the model you want to start. Which would have been the best one for this situation.
    Cura is pretty awful and just seems to be going backwards as far as user friendliness is concerned.