Close

3d noob size quest

Hello, I am a total beginner of 3D printers. But have got an idea that I would have to discuss with your acquaintances in here.

I want to print a BMW E30 m3 if possible around 50X60cm.
    IF I would now find drawing on such a model, but 10X10cm can i change the size , Or do you have to draw the entire drawing?

Staff Engineer
    If you are creating a model to be printed on a 3D printer, you do not necessarily create a drawing. Some programs for modeling begin with a sketch (drawing) but other actions are made which result in the creation of a three dimensional item presented on a two dimensional screen.

To create a 3D printable model of an automobile would require much more than a single image. You would have to have multiple views of the vehicle, from different directions, along with some method of determining scale. There are many creative people using the interweb to make such models. I performed a quick search using the vehicle identifier in your post and found this one:

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/mod...W-M3-E30-tuned

Note, however, that this was created with SketchUp, which is known for generating models which will not print on a 3D printer. You can perform a search of your own and possibly find a model that is not created with SketchUp (Fusion 360 is a good choice) that would be more likely 3D printable.

https://sketchfab.com/models/d07037d...6c?ref=related

The above link is to a high-poly model of some great detail. I would not suggest that it would be an easy 3D print, but it is likely that one would have more luck than with a model created by SketchUp.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by berne View Post
    I want to print a BMW E30 m3 if possible around 50X60cm.
    IF I would now find drawing on such a model, but 10X10cm can i change the size , Or do you have to draw the entire drawing?
    If the Drawing is in a SVG ( Scalable Vector Graphics ) size in not relative.
    Other wise it may be, as an image can only be scaled so far before pixelation occur.

Staff Engineer
    An SVG drawing is a two dimensional image. If his objective is to print the model on paper, it is a good choice for changing size of a drawing without losing quality.

If the objective is to create a 3D model, an SVG drawing has limited utility.

Add Roberts_Clif on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts_Clif View Post
    If the Drawing is in a SVG ( Scalable Vector Graphics ) size in not relative.
    Other wise it may be, as an image can only be scaled so far before pixelation occur.
    OK!! Sorry!!

Senior moment somehow got on the route during my thinking process.